Neptune Aquatics

29gal plans

Hey, I'm thinking of setting up the 29gal biocube. I have a budget of 400$ to fill the aquarium. The theme I have chosen is a Lagoon Habitat! I'm going to make the sand bed like a ditch (lower in the middle, higher on the edges) I will make the rock structure only in the back and middle building upwards. I will then start an invasion of some sort of fast growing sea grass while cycling ( green, about 2 -4 inches high). Once the grass has grown to my interest, I will put in some brown plain colored polyps and brow plain colored mushrooms. I will include hermit crabs, feather dusters or coco worms, and a starfish. I'm still thinking of what fish I want to put in it so if you have any ideas tell me. I was thinking a easy type of clown fish (not percula or ocellaris) probably like 2 skunks, or two tomato. I was also thinking of a dwarf lion fish or something that is in the color of whites, grays, browns, blacks, or the basic earth tones. I just want the aquarium to look natural, not reef like, not deep ocean like, but a low current soft coral place simulating a lagoon. I will also put in a jaw fish with whatever I get. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please list them below! :)

Thanks! :)

Dude, your a BAR member, we don't do brown :D, shoot I can't give coral away, don't settle for regular ol' stuff, we have the hookup.

Other than that, I think you have a good plan, a mini lagoon, wait.. how 'bout a tide pool? A little microcosm, I think your idea of seagrass during the cycle is a really good one, unfortunately dwarf lions don't have a very good surviveability rate. There are plenty of fish in the sea though, so don't let that deter you ;D

Ok, I may need a small amounts of polyps & mushrooms later (January - February) but I'm sticking to a simple, realistic, natural design rather than a vibrant reef thing (already have one). If I need any coral I'll make a thread and we can work something out.
I need ideas on the types of fish and set-up so just tell me. I'm still leaning towards clown fish though.

I'm going to make the sand bed like a ditch (lower in the middle, higher on the edges) I will make the rock structure only in the back and middle building upwards.

I'd be curious to how you plan to accomplish this? doesn't take much water flow to move sand around.

ok, but it will look cool for about an hour. And it will be VERY easy to find the materials.
Hey, does anybody have some fast-growing sea grass stuff that will spread like crazy? Here is a pic of what I kinda want.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4816.msg58565#msg58565 date=1223781182]
here it is! anyone have any similar?
[/quote]That looks like Caulerpa taxifolia, sorry to say it is not legal in Ca. There are other types of Macroalgaes and sea grasses that would fit the bill. I know there are a few people in the club that grow them.

Hey, For all you people that read this with macroalgae, go get a camera, take pictures, and post them! :) I need some macro if anyone wouldn't mind. I'll need them in January - February.

look at Elite's 12G build page. http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3565.0
and
Pixelpixi's Tank build http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4040.0

Both use macro in their main displays.

Banggai Cardinal Fish are on the endangered list. If you want them, please be a responsible reefer and get tank bred one, not wild ones.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4816.msg58684#msg58684 date=1223861659]
Banggai Cardinal Fish are on the endangered list. If you want them, please be a responsible reefer and get tank bred one, not wild ones.
[/quote]

They are "red listed" not endangered, I do agree though, acquire tank bred specimens, and if you have the energy and commitment you can breed them to pass them along. Don't expect to make any money though, it's a labor of love, and extremely rewarding.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4816.msg58690#msg58690 date=1223866300]

They are "red listed" not endangered
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:IUCN_Red_List_endangered_species
This category lists the species considered as Endangered species by the IUCN Red List.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/63572
Red List Category & Criteria:Endangered B2ab(ii,iii,iv,v)
:p

I'm just saying that the official redlist criteria describes it as endangered. I know little on the subject beyond what I read above. Redlisted can be
Extinct, Extinct in the Wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, or Near Threatened In this case, it is officially classified as endangered. If you have additional information, I'd be happy to read it.

I dug a little deeper (clicked a link lol) out of curiosity and found "Endangered B2ab(ii,iii,iv,v)"

ENDANGERED (EN)
A taxon is Endangered when the best available evidence indicates that it meets any of the following criteria (A to E), and it is therefore considered to be facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild:
2. Area of occupancy estimated to be less than 500 km2, and estimates indicating at least two of a-c:
a. Severely fragmented or known to exist at no more than five locations.
b. Continuing decline, observed, inferred or projected, in any of the following:
(ii) area of occupancy
(iii) area, extent and/or quality of habitat
(iv) number of locations or subpopulations
(v) number of mature individuals.

PS, sorry for the further derail. This could make an interesting split off thread.

I understand Tony, they are not listed as appendix I or appendix II CITES does not recognize their status as endangered. The IUCN has no teeth, CITES does.

Back