Jestersix

3 gallon pictope mini-reef + mods

Ok, so I'll be ordering the 3 gallon pictope soon. It has 40GPH filter (made for SW), 9W PC Fluorescent, 7400k daylight light, and 10000k 50/50 light. I'll be using a 7.5 watt mini heater to heat the water. I'm going to get a blue LED light to stick behind it and make it have a pretty glow. I'll eventually fill it with some rare, fancy zoas, ricordias, yumas, and a feather duster. I'll add a pom-pom crab from my 14 and a couple of snails, hermits, and a shrimp (not sure what kind yet). I'm hoping to build my own fuge of about 1/2 gallon to fill w/ cheato, live sand, and live rock. I'll frag the rare zoas, ricordias, and yumas I put in it to put in the DBTC (and my other tanks). I'll put a jaw fish in there so the tank will be interesting to watch. How does that plan sound? I'm open to suggestion of stocking, aquascaping, mods, and other. 8)

Sounds good except for the jawfish. They really need a nice DSB (which doesn't happen often in pico tanks) to do well. A tank that size I think would look great with a couple Sexy Shrimp and/or anemone shrimp (once you get some corals in there) and if you really wanted a fish in there, then maybe a neon goby or two, or a hi-fin/yasha goby.

The bulb combo also might look a little too yellow for your taste, but the LED should fix it, but it's all up to personal preference.

Ok, so a no for the jaw fish. I think I might get two sexy shrimp. I had a yasha goby that I got from the Aquarium Showroom to put in my 14gal, but it disappeared after a few days (I checked the back compartments) so I think my clowns ate it (that is where my other gobys went... :(). I was thinking of getting a pistol shrimp and yasha goby, but they are hard to find (I think). So maybe what I'll do is get two sexy shrimp, one pom-pom crab, three hermit crabs, two turbo snails, feather duster, and for a fish is a blue damsel possible? Also, I'm thinking of getting some mangroves to put in the tank but they would stick out of the water. Can they grow out of water? I saw some mangroves on Kauai that were growing next to a small estuary and they looked like they were alive.

The mangroves in Hawaii grow in brackish water. BTW, you saw that they are trees right? You might have the mangroves outgrow your 3 gal pico in no time.

I agree with phishphood and pslee, stick to the small gobies, or no fish at all. Don't dump a lot of sealife into such a tiny tank all at once, or you might lose much of it.

Feather dusters do better in seasoned tanks with alot of micro life in them.

I would seggust AGAIN, that you gain control of your other 2 tanks before moving on to a thrid. I know new shinny things are exciting, but picos are very hard in comparision to larger tanks or even Nanos. They require you keep a very close eye on your tank, and from your other posts on the board, and even your lack of research on this thread before purposing nems and jaw fish, I don't think your quite there

I was considering an Eviota goby for it, but wanted to keep open potions. I won't get mangroves since they will outgrow the tank. Roc, I realize such small tanks are much, much harder to keep than the ones I have. I'm going to let the tank cycle for a few months to make sure everything is going well and water levels are stable before adding anything.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=6625.msg85587#msg85587 date=1235947031]
3 gallon tank, 3" fish....................
[/quote]

You have to be joking right? a 3 gallon tank with a 3" fish is way over stocked!!!!

FWIW 3 gallon is a NANO, not a PICO :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6625.msg86609#msg86609 date=1236287597]
[/quote]

You have to be joking right? a 3 gallon tank with a 3" fish is way over stocked!!!!

[/quote]

Gresh I wasn't seggusting I was commenting on the OP's seggusting getting a 3" fish for a 3Gal tank.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=6625.msg86614#msg86614 date=1236287866]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Gresh I wasn't seggusting I was commenting on the OP's seggusting getting a 3" fish for a 3Gal tank.
[/quote]

Oh shwew, I was going to say Roc :D

It stuck out like a soar thumb, sorry. It caught my eye before I even started reading the thread :D I scan threads before reading the entirely to see if I want to read it all...bit me in the ass this time :lol:

arg, no :lol: code with this stupid software either. what a useless "upgrade" :(

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6625.msg86620#msg86620 date=1236288514]

Oh shwew, I was going to say Roc :D

It stuck out like a soar thumb, sorry. It caught my eye before I even started reading the thread :D I scan threads before reading the entirely to see if I want to read it all...bit me in the ass this time :lol:

[/quote]

no prob buddy

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know it is considered a nano, but the actual product name is pictope.

If it's a product your buying and not making shouldn't this whole thread be in tank jornals not DIY since your not doing anything yourself except starting yet another tank and seggusting to add totaly inaporperate fish and corals?

Back