Cali Kid Corals

3 gallon pictope mini-reef + mods

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6625.msg86715#msg86715 date=1236313043]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6625.msg86609#msg86609 date=1236287597]
[quote author=Roc link=topic=6625.msg85587#msg85587 date=1235947031]
3 gallon tank, 3" fish....................
[/quote]

You have to be joking right? a 3 gallon tank with a 3" fish is way over stocked!!!!

FWIW 3 gallon is a NANO, not a PICO :D
[/quote]

I know it is considered a nano, but the actual product name is pictope.

[/quote]Actually, the name of the product is picotope.

I know this is taking a big jump, but I really think that if I put my time & effort into this aquarium by doing mods to keep the water parameters steady that I might be able to keep a few dwarf sea horses. I want to put my time into researching dwarf seahorses and their care requirements because I really think It will pay off in the end. I know they are hard to care for, but I'm going to let the tank cycle for at least 3 months with some caleurpa, chaeto, and other live plants and when everything is steady and going well, then I'll order three or so dwarf seahorses. I've already began to look at sites and get info and have already learned about the feeding and housing of them. Do you guys think if I put my time & effort into this the tank will be capable of holding dwarf seahorses? As I do my research I might change my plans a bit.

I really think if your reading about them you will find that a 3 gal pico is not the right enviroment for them. What I would seggust to you personaly is try to learn how others have been succussful, master the hobby's "standard" rules, and then and only then begin to slowly push limets, always keeping the animals and ceatures health as your 1st pirority.

I did. I read a review on the picotope by somebody who kept a herd of seahorses in her 3g picotope great. She said it worked really well for her and the size of the seahorses. They only reach adult size of about 1" according to my research I also found where it says the dwarf seahorses shouldn't live in anything bigger than a 10g. So wouldn't 3 fit in a 3g? If they wouldn't would 2 be ok?

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6625.msg88851#msg88851 date=1237167669]
I did. I read a review on the picotope by somebody who kept a herd of seahorses in her 3g picotope great. She said it worked really well for her and the size of the seahorses. They only reach adult size of about 1" according to my research I also found where it says the dwarf seahorses shouldn't live in anything bigger than a 10g. So wouldn't 3 fit in a 3g? If they wouldn't would 2 be ok?
[/quote]

I think your missing the point, just because someone has kept them in a 3 gal doesn't mean it's a normal or easy thing to do. If your research has shown you that they should be kept in a 10 gal, then why would you, on your very 1st adventure into keeping these extememly hard to keep animals get them and try to do something that you can find only 1 example of? What I am trying to impress upon you is that you seem to be at a very early age in your reef keeping experence, and it is BEST pratice to follow what has proven time and time again to work, until you are able to do so without issues, and then SLOWLY begin to try and push limets. I don't mean to offend you in anyway I am mearly looking out for the health and well being of the living creatures you are talking about keeping.

I have always found the suggestion that "dwarf sea horses should be kept in a small tank" a bit ridiculous. After all, don't they live in the OCEAN? I guess what these people really mean is that they should have a species specific container because of their specialized needs.

I'd defer to mofib.org on this question. I'd also see if seahorse.org is still around. I've heard good things about the info coming out of oceanriders along with their fish.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6625.msg89555#msg89555 date=1237323390]
I have always found the suggestion that "dwarf sea horses should be kept in a small tank" a bit ridiculous. After all, don't they live in the OCEAN? I guess what these people really mean is that they should have a species specific container because of their specialized needs.
[/quote]

I believe the reason ppl suggest keeping dwarf species in a small tank is to help maintain a high density of food available for these ponies to graze on throughout the day.

[quote author=pslee link=topic=6625.msg90731#msg90731 date=1237575671]
[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6625.msg89555#msg89555 date=1237323390]
[/quote]

I believe the reason ppl suggest keeping dwarf species in a small tank is to help maintain a high density of food available for these ponies to graze on throughout the day.
[/quote]

That makes sense. :) They are not the swiftest fish out there... not prone too swimming in the water column to catch food...very specialized needs. :)

Back