4/8 BOD Meeting - mini summary

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Mr. Ugly, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Hi everybody. As has been BAR practice, the general club meeting this past weekend was preceded by a BAR Board of Directors(BOD) meeting. BOD meeting are open to all club members, and there were quite a few people in attendance.

As you may or may not know, Rich has decided to step down from being club president. At the meeting, he confirmed that he truly believed it was in the club's best interest that he not un-resign. He intends remain available to help the club and the BOD as "un-President" through to the November election.

During the meeting discussion, we recognized that BAR has quite a few people who are willing to help "do stuff", even "do TONS of stuff". We do have difficulties that relate to identifying and organizing all the stuff that needs to be done, and making sure it all happens.

We talked about getting stuff done relating to club meetings and events, we thought that we wanted to get past the "wouldn't it be good if" stage. We need to decide what we want for the remaining events for the year, and work on the specifics of planning and organizing the supporting activities.

If our club can decide what events we want, the event organizers can do their job, and the Pres can actually do his real club responsibilities, instead of managing specific individual projects, or worse yet, putting out fires.

Anyway, that's why the new thread soliciting member comments for meeting topics. And that's why Rich posted the megalist of stuff that gets done behind the scenes.

Let's hear all the suggestions out there, and narrow down what we want for at least the June meeting.

If we can decide on the June event(and hopefully a few more) within a week or so, we can actually start getting all the support work distributed and completed well in advance.

If we wait until the last 2 weeks before, it will be awkward to publicise the event, do writeups, talk to sponsors, and make whatever other arrangements we might need.

http://www.bareefers.org/bar/viewtopic.php?t=922

http://www.bareefers.org/bar/viewtopic.php?t=925

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

The VP stepped down as well.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

yeah but you weren't there Gresham, so that's why you're not in the summary ;)

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I can care less about being in the summary Mike. Kinda dumb not to discuss the vacancy though, IMO.

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to post the link of the $180 quantum meter ;)

6. Thales

Thales Past President

I will even help afterwards. I think the reasons are important.

Reef clubs, and clubs in general, tend to run on the juice of a few people until those people burn out, get bitter, or in rare cases get replaced by new people with juice. I would prefer that BAR be the latter. :D

IME, talking about the club needing help results in little action from the membership, and I felt that a big splash was needed to get attention to the issue of leadership. I am worried that if I step back up that the whole dilemma will drop to the back of peoples minds to deal with later. That scares me because lots of thought needs to go into how the club moves into the future and doing it last minute makes it not as good as it could be. I would like to continue to do president stuff, maybe even unstep down (I am still dealing with the IRS and discussing be 'sister clubs' with other clubs across the country - both real president jobs) but feel uncomfortable doing it if we don't have the basic infrastructure laid out in our by laws.
    We need a President, a VP and a Sponsorship coordinator. Without the second two I am scared to do the first because ALL the responsibility would be in the Presidents lap.
    Either way, I do feel I will be doing the club a disservice if I stay on longer than the end of the current term (or at all). New leadership needs to appear to take the club into the future and I will help all I can.
    :D

7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

well the "meeting" wasn't so much of a meeting as rich popped in after talking with the bobs and discussed primarily why he was stepping down and what needed to be done as a result, it wasn't really a meeting in the sense that we discussed club business, so it's not a matter of your leaving being excluded but it was a Rich explaination.

sorry didn't see your quantum meter inquiry.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BASIC-QUANTUM-METER-MICROMOLES-NEW-in-BOX_W0QQitemZ4381548282QQcategoryZ42225QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    177.95 + shipping.

8. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Non minutes of the non meeting.

Good example of why it's dangerous when I try to help! :)