Neptune Aquatics

40B Drilling

Hello all!

Wondering if anyone has drilled a 40B Aqueon tank on the bottom glass? I don't see a "Tempered" glass sticker at the bottom.

Thx.

Thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and try to drill it, what's the worst that can happen? I have a sacrificial 40B that has a crack on the side but the hole saw is wearing out fast so I just want to drill an be done, no practice here.

Use plumbers putty to create a moat to hold water around where you're drilling and tape the back side so you dont break through suddenly and chip.

Go slow, dont apply pressure, just let the drill's weight push it through..especially towards the end.

You going to use that stand?

I've got a new hole saw for 1" bulkheads if you want to borrow it. Going to do some glass cutting this week too. Want help?

I already built the stand using that "old stand". Finished Bennett's stand and the bug bit me, some spare ply and lots of spare time. I'll let you know if I need a hole saw, have one but the diamond grit seems iffy.
I have a drill guide that makes drilling holes less of a PITA if you want to borrow it you are welcome.
Still deciding on type of OF, internal 1 drain 1 return, custom OF box... or use a diamond wheel for the Dremell, cut a gap about 6" long 5/8" width, then cut an external glass OF box out of the 40B terrarium with a 1" drain; this second option I'd need a 5/8" bit for glass/tile for both ends of the OF gap.

...One thing led to another...

40B 004.jpg

Back