40B Drilling

Discussion in 'DIY' started by xcaret, Aug 13, 2015.

1. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Hello all!

Wondering if anyone has drilled a 40B Aqueon tank on the bottom glass? I don't see a "Tempered" glass sticker at the bottom.

Thx.

2. POOLSCAPES

POOLSCAPES Guest

go on the internet and check tempered glass. it will show you how to check. I believe you tube has some good videos.

3. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Mine is a 40B from Aqueon with 2 1" holes drilled in the bottom. I brought it used and was already drilled.

4. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and try to drill it, what's the worst that can happen? I have a sacrificial 40B that has a crack on the side but the hole saw is wearing out fast so I just want to drill an be done, no practice here.

5. mediumrare

mediumrare Guest

Use plumbers putty to create a moat to hold water around where you're drilling and tape the back side so you dont break through suddenly and chip.

Go slow, dont apply pressure, just let the drill's weight push it through..especially towards the end.

6. we can drill them @ $20 per hole if you don't have the tools

7. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

You going to use that stand?

I've got a new hole saw for 1" bulkheads if you want to borrow it. Going to do some glass cutting this week too. Want help?

8. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I already built the stand using that "old stand". Finished Bennett's stand and the bug bit me, some spare ply and lots of spare time. I'll let you know if I need a hole saw, have one but the diamond grit seems iffy.
    I have a drill guide that makes drilling holes less of a PITA if you want to borrow it you are welcome.
    Still deciding on type of OF, internal 1 drain 1 return, custom OF box... or use a diamond wheel for the Dremell, cut a gap about 6" long 5/8" width, then cut an external glass OF box out of the 40B terrarium with a 1" drain; this second option I'd need a 5/8" bit for glass/tile for both ends of the OF gap.

9. anathema

10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

...One thing led to another...

40B 004.jpg

wpeterson likes this.
  11. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

12. anathema

Nice work!

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I can sense your wife's anger growing...

Enderturtle likes this.
  14. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Thanks

Nah! I'm just killing time from time to time. But she now says "misses the tank" !! o_O

15. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Don't fall or it. She's just building up your hopes! Looks good btw...

anathema likes this.
  16. T.louderback

T.louderback Guest

Nice overflow, I did the same layout on my old 40B. glass is super thick on these things