Cali Kid Corals

70cuda's 180 gallon tank

These are le white and blurry pictures ~smile. Been meaning to post but my camera skills well arent good. Lyn posted and talked about being brave so decided if she can I will. Where to start. Lighting is 3 mhs. 250w 400w 250w mhs.Its an acrylic tank 72 x 30 x 30.
IMG_3169.jpg

The sump is also acrylic 60 x 30 x 24

The top is open for ease of cleaning and maintanence.
IMG_3182.jpg

Refugeim
IMG_3173.jpg

The atinics and moonlights were removed from an outter orbin current fixture and put in the hood kinda like a retro fit.
IMG_3181.jpg

Mhs are on lighting track so can be moved forward and back for servicing or working on tank
IMG_3179.jpg

The stand is diy with doors that are removable.
IMG_3178.jpg

Woo that's a big honkin tank! :D

Hard to see due to the pictures, but it looks like quite a few caves/arches in your rockwork design, I like!@

Looking good!

Can you take some pictures in the evening without the sunlight when you have a chance? Would show everything much better. I like how everything looks like without even seeing much detail.

Here are two pieces picked up from BAYMAC. The rose nebulas like to strech way out and you can see all the babies underneath. The cyphastrae is also streching and has its feeders out.
IMG_3204.jpg

This is the new chalice seems happy.
IMG_3199.jpg

Think these are yumas maybe ricordea also some with purple pink base instead of black
IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

Really great! I love the rock work. It lets water flow through the bottom portions of the tank, where most flow is usually diminished. Nice corals and fish too. Everything has space to grow and expand! :D

BTW. If you use photobucket and then later move stuff around to reorganize it your posts that you link pics to will look like some of the ones above with the message. If you want to repost them all you need to do is edit your post and add in the new link.

After talking to my hubby and wanting to be really successful with sps and try to keep all the fish we currently have we have decided to upgrade the skimmer. Any suggestions we are looking to spend under 2k and tank is over 250 gallons easy.

$2k really is a lot of money for a skimmer.

I mean you could go for a Bubble Master 250 (or any of the Octopus Extreme "clone" versions) and have plenty of change left over.
You could spend a good majority of it on a bubble king or ATB skimmer.
However if you really want to spend that kind of money, I'd probably vote for an H&S skimmer myself.

Talk with Ed at K&M, he sells the high end skimmers, ATi, ATB, H&S, BK, Deltec, etc. Most skimmers at that level are fixed in price anyways, so ordering online usually won't net you anything, plus he's local, you can pick it up from his place, and ummm it might be a bit cheaper... however no promises ;)
http://kmaintl.homestead.com/

Went into a lfs today in Monterey and was told a Bubble Master of the size i would need will cost me over 3k and that the Bubble Master 250 is too small for my tank being the load I have on it. What is K & M. Didnt see H & S skimmer and have never heard of it. I appreciate the tips and advise you have to offer. Talking to Salesmen made us believe that most of the better skimmers ran in that range. Geezz funny how in one place this is alot of money and in another they act that that isnt going to get us much. I hate shopping for equipment sometimes.

I think you mean Bubble King not master (the cheaper ones :D)... as to over 3k? Granted I don't have the cash to buy those, but looking around you can get a $2k BK skimmer for your tank size no problem, perhaps the store you talked to simply had an enormous markup, or were getting you to buy a really large skimmer.
Give a look at this site, I'm not recommending them, but they sell high end skimmers and have sizes, specs, and all that so you can get an idea for it.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=34

K&M is the business that Ed owns, it's in San Francisco, it's primarily a servicing business however he is licensed to sell the higher end/German stuff, go to the link I provided in my other post, then click the "contact us" button and shoot him an email, let him know about your tank, ask him what he'd recommend, he's not out to simply sell you the highest priced skimmer your budget allows.

http://www.atbskimmers.com/product.php?id=56

That one is for a 480G tank..

If you have room.. ;D
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~ASM_G_6_Protein_Skimmer_w__3xSedra_15000_Pumps_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Protein_Skimmers_In_Sump_Skimmers_Venturi_Over_250_Gallons~vendor~All_Seas_Marine_(ASM)~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~AG1251~idCategory~FIPSISVSOT.html

I

ty ty ~smile I love you guys. This is what I needed, going to look through this all defenitly not going back to a place where the mark up is absurd. Thank you for helping me, esp for the links.

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=5471.msg70293#msg70293 date=1229575016]
Went into a lfs today in Monterey and was told a Bubble Master of the size i would need will cost me over 3k and that the Bubble Master 250 is too small for my tank being the load I have on it. What is K & M. Didnt see H & S skimmer and have never heard of it. I appreciate the tips and advise you have to offer. Talking to Salesmen made us believe that most of the better skimmers ran in that range. Geezz funny how in one place this is alot of money and in another they act that that isnt going to get us much. I hate shopping for equipment sometimes.
[/quote]

You can also go w/ BM300 and it's in your price range. The efficiency of that skimming beast is amazing. Uses less than 100W!

http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Protein_Skimmers/ATI_Bubble_Master/Bubble_Master_300_Protein_Skimmer_by_ATI

Warner Marine Research :)

www.warnermarine.com

Jon makes some kick ass protein skimmers and they tend to cost a bit less then the others in thier league :D

H&S are great as are ATB's. BK's are over priced IMO and the build quality I've found lacking on the ATI's (for the price).

can someone please expand a little on cone vs recirculating. Seems as if difference is in way the skimmers are adjustable. recirculating does seem more expensive.

Back