got ethical husbandry?

70cuda's 180 gallon tank

Recirc's tend to be more efficient but require a second pump to feed them. Cones are newer to the scene but the concept and application are outstanding. If you have the money for a Recirc cone, that is the way to go IMO :)

plus most recirculated ones are external skimmer. If you don't have room in the sump/stand, it helps a lot.. At least until it starts to leak :D ..

Cone is simply a shape, now how much effective is it I can not say one way or another, there has to be a reason people are willing to pay the big bucks that they command though. (More than just hype too :D)

Recirculating simply has at least one pump hooked to the skimmer that sucks water directly from it, and reinjects it, the idea being that you can more slowly put water into the skimmer while continually moving it around, of course that means you need at least one more pump or to plumb your overflow directly into your skimmer. It is interesting to note however that of the really efficient high end skimmers, not many are recirculating, but rather employ a rather good pump instead.

I personally think recirculating skimmers can be overrated, since bubble diffuser plates have come into the mix you can toss a more powerful pump on any particular skimmer body without too much in the way of issues. However this is just my opinion, not necessarily a statement of fact :)

You can get away with using a 2nd feed pump by tapping off your drain pipe to your sump and using a gate valve to control the flow amount into the skimmer. Just make sure drain pipe has enough flow or else may have to use a pump.

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=5471.msg70353#msg70353 date=1229622183]
You can get away with using a 2nd feed pump by tapping off your drain pipe to your sump and using a gate valve to control the flow amount into the skimmer. Just make sure drain pipe has enough flow or else may have to use a pump.
[/quote]

That creates "burps" in most cases which reduce the efficiency of the skimmer. It's not recommended by any manufacturer and most that are educated in the science of protein skimming :)

most start at 500 gph and go up in size from their. Will yours provide enough GPH for all those units?

What Gresham said, I'm fairly sure the phosphate reactor pumps are NOT very strong at all.

You got a big budget for a skimmer though, I wouldn't worry too much about reusing parts and making a piecemeal protein skimmer work for your tank. Off the shelf skimmer, all the components there, makes your life a lot easier :D

ATi Bubblemaster skimmers are on the low end of the high end skimmers, one for your tank size, BM250 would work fine (250 does not stand for gallons BTW), I use one on my 180 + sump, and if anything it's too much of a protein skimmer because I only have 4 fish.

I have over 30 fish easy which is why we are going to upgrade the skimmer. The skimmer on it now works fine, but to keep the fish and keep sps long term.

The ATB Medium with airstar pump would work, contact Victor, he will hook you up customerservice@atbskimmers.com.

I had a ER RC135 that worked well, but eventually started to leak, went to an ATB Small and the build quality, customer service, and performance have been nothing short of excellent....4 days of skimming, time to empty
atbskimmer021.jpg

My BM250 gets about half of the collection cup filled in half a week, and yeah... how many years have I been in this hobby? I still can't get over that smell, smells like someone definitely didn't turn the fan on in the bathroom!

I agree on the ATB- I've got the small for my 200 gallon system (lightly stocked) and it works great. that craigslist ad could be the ticket!

You can't go wrong with the aforementioned skimmers. Look into the reeflo pro kit skimmer when you get a chance...they are a beast. I'll be getting one for my 440 dt. Call Mike at www.reefspecialties.com

Great guy and he knows his stuff.

I have a sink in the garage. It is tied in with the washer drain. It is absolutely awesome having it. I can do all my nasty reefing stuff in there and drain anythnig I want there...and my wife doesn't care! In my prior house, I had to use the extra bathroom for this stuff...didn't score brownie points then.

Back