Cali Kid Corals

+80g

Why do I consistently FORGET to LOAD my params on my BM3???
All I can say is this - the stuff in my tank can deal with swinging params.

After listening to me bitch my lady decided to help me out

8d14a062.jpg

I suppose it's worth repeating that the little kessil ocean blue has absolutely grown on me. At first it was so blue and I wasn't that into the shimmer but I've gotten over it. The one fixture is plenty for my 4'x2' footprint (concede very low flux.) I think I'm doing like 2hrs of LED then 5 of MH then another 2 of LED now and liking it.

The color is growing on me as well. Now I want them to do a good actinic one :)

it LOOKS like you are using a 21 emitter array. The 15k looks like it has about (guestimating based on spectra) 5x white (yellow phosphor), 10x 465, 4x 455 and 2x 406 nm emitters. If I had a free hand with the reef arrays, I would swap out one of your 465 and one of your 455 nm emitters and add in an additional 406 nm and then one of your 675 emitters. This would help give both better fluorescing, and handle the reds much better then what typical arrays use over reefs. You don't need a lot of red, but the broad band yellow phosphors really do not do (imo) justice to red pigmentation.

only estimating the wavelengths given what bandgaps are available and what it seems like you have access to

Making some tweaks on my system. My radiums dropped way too low and some corals were screaming when I got back from my big trip. Switched to some ushio 14's I had in reserve. Not radium color but no big deal so I'll run them for a while. Funny how some colors pop when you change bulbs, and others simply disappear. At least at halides off they all go back to fluorescing when the LED comes on.

I have also reduced my Inventory of frags to make some needed space. I was maxed out on rack space, and I'd like to start adding some more diversity.

Debating Ca reactor. I sort of enjoy the chemistry of rolling my own 2-part though. IDK...

Another 2 wks on the road. Still the same. I did some rearranging before I left, cut a few frags, then bailed. The new flow dynamics and my oolite had a party and I came back to my SSB converted into a 6" mound of sand on one side of the tank.

I did just move a couch into the fishroom. Fridge next to the couch full of beer - perfect.

Kris - unfortunately I had a little meltdown about 8 months ago :(

Things were running smoothly. Then one day I came home from work to pack for a redeye trip back East and all my fish looked like absolute hell. They all looked like they were going down the tubes fast, and had looked fine the day before, and the months and yrs leading up. They were all super pale and all dead when I got home 2 days later. If I could tell you what happened I would, but I just have theories. I can say it didn't openly look like any disease I could ID. Not a coral or invert was any worse for the wear.

Anyway I was pretty distraught :((

Regarding disease - I had (or so I had felt) done my part to ensure the fish were all healthy and super clean going in with all spending between 6 wks to 3 months in my Q tank. I lost my mature A. Chrysopterus pair which really upset me. The angels were damn cool as well (although I couldn't keep a clam). Their nightly spawning routine was awesome.

Not ruling out disease I opted to leave that tank fallow for over 2 months and then anted back up. I've had 2 fish in the 80g tank for the last 6 months. A third fish destined for the 80g is in the Q tank as we speak, but there's no rush, but we're looking at December. I've got some other fish in other tanks, but the 80 gallon tank is an island right now, with plans in 2012 to consolidate animals and systems somewhat.

Bummer Dave,

Sorry to hear that. I lost a 3 year old scribbled angel and a 5 year old scribbled rabbit fish about 4 months ago. Also completely unknown cause. They were eating, fat and happy the day before. Came down the next afternoon headed to work and the angel was laying on the bottom. Lost the rabbit a couple days later. EVERYTHING else in the tank looked amazing and all params were good. My theary was that adding all those anemone's really cramped the tank. I'm guessing they got stung a few times and got stressed. Who knows. I really hate losing fish..........always a bummer.

I have a question for ya. I have never had a QT tank before. Most that I have seen on the forums appear to be connected to the main tank? Is that ok? Seems like you could be introducing diseas to your tank if the fish are in the same water. I actually don't know how to properly set one up. Seems like a lot of work to maintain a completely seperate tank just for QT. I don't really buy than many fish I guess. Sorry, prolly a stupid question........but any info on it would be appreciated. Thx.

The rods are great for corals that don't encrust that much. These started as tiny broken tips, and they grew up instead of down like 100:1.

Back