Reef nutrition

90 Gallon forced upgrade no more peninsula.

At home we have this corner, behind the wall is the kitchen sink.
Wondering about the light, would it benefit in some sort of way? The neighbor across can have an ocean view from his window for free !
I can always block the light with a sheet of plexi if needed.
This week looks good to set the tank home, wife just said no to the new spot, kids said yes but is more symbolic their vote (democracy?) I thought she liked the idea...
If I set it there, transferring livestock will be easy since is just few feet across then to take down the old bow-front.
Water changes would be a breeze and maybe RO top off if I can squeeze a unit under the tiny kitchen cabinet !!

P1020598.jpg

I used a magnet this spring to hold a sheet of paper on the tank to protect a cyphastrea that was whiting out in the direct sunlight of a South facing window. The rest of the PC lit tank inhabitants loved the extra light. It looks like you have it shaded off so it would not matter either way. The other thing I like about the window is you could go outside to see the rockwork. The light is seasonal though so it does not promote stability in the system.

Thanks for the input Richard, the window faces South but is more indirect light and as you pointed, I have blinds and curtains plus a sheet of plastic would cover it if needed. The house in front of it blocks the Sun; would be more daylight than straight Sun light.
Unless I'm a daddy long legs or get a ladder then I could see the rocks from the other side :D
Still my wife has those mood swings when she agrees then is a plain no :~

A while since I posted some update, regret to say it Arnold but no water yet...
But hey, things happen for a reason; we might be moving in the summer to the Richmond district; heard parking is a paradise there (for those who have it)
Well the only update is I screwed up my sump yesterday; nothing to worry about, I was short by an inch.

...not so peninsula after all.
Went for the 90 instead. DIY stand, canopy and sump. The canopy will wait it's turn to be mounted on the aquarium; lighting has to be decided yet.

P1030402-1.jpg

0611001645a.jpg

0613001332.jpg

...me too but it was not my decision, basically a coin toss so I blame the coin tosser. I think I'll keep the peninsula, I put so much effort in it that selling it would be like parting out with my fish. I brought over the Tek light from the frag tank and installed a halide reflector there. Picking egg crate from my brother, do the bottom rock-work first then add water and live rock has been curing for sometime now so is plug and play?
Man my head still hurts of those heavy odors and some nausea.

Wife's not happy but what's done is done; I asked opinion on which tank; too late to change minds now.
She wanted a pico sized tank :~

400W !! I don't want to light up the neighborhood.
I'm transferring livestock from the busted 46 so it's a big jump, more than doubled the volume. I'd like to go with a mixed reef; maybe a softy bottom with multicolor mushrooms, rics and zoas/palys, a sarco or two. Montis I like caps and some other SPS.
My RBTA is the first casualty of the move :((
The Tek will provide the lighting for the time being 6x54W but MH will be for sure in the near future, first I have to figure out the equipment and the amp limitations on the old wiring don't leave much room to play with power hungry things.
Still have to bring the live rock over from it's temporary holding place, aquascape and add some sand to help the rock-work stay still.
I dumped my chaeto so I'll be bumming for some soon.

P1030658.jpg

P1030659.jpg

yardartist said:
I was about to compost a ball so holding it for now.

I'll take your word on it.

A small hurdle; need to level the tank, right side is >1/2" lower so Saturday will get to it pronto.

gimmito said:
Gotta love shims. ;)

Yup, shimmed it and now is level. Had to work all day on the aquarium, wife and kids knew it was to be a disastrous day if they stayed so my wife took both kidos 'til well past 7:00pm to the wharf area.
There's no bigger help than that !!!
Spliced the drain in two for skimmer and refugium; I pulled out a Mag 7 for the return and it does the job just fine. Skimmer is "Ol reliable" (Isn't that what Spongebob calls his jelly-fishing net?) ER 5-2; will do the job just fine while I dig out the skimmer for this tank.
Live rock still needs to be brought over from my brother's place and then the rock work will take place; in the mean time I kept the larger pieces of rock from the old 46BF.
Two DA Reefkeper units (RK1 and RK2) will do the fancy timing, if I have any issues with temperature, a Medusa dual controller is already in place. Lights are 6XT5 Tek I had over the frag tank but couple of bulbs do not light on so there's more to work with.
Canopy needs the reflectors fixed in place and I think I'll start with two MH bulbs but 175W, still need to make sure there are no power issues.
I want this tank to be efficient energy wise, if possible use about the same amount of power as the 46BF by going DC power heads and alternation power on the halides, just overlapping for an hour or two the halides.

P1030661.jpg

P1030662.jpg

P1030663.jpg

Added sand today and live rock; now just to wait for sand storm to settle so I can arrange the rock. Canopy has to wait, can't find the Lumenarc minis among the huge mess I made...

Well, although the transition is now "easy" I started to count corals and fish, casualties have shown already.
Flame angel and six line wrasse (dead and MIA)
Corals: Watermelon chalice, large red/gold chalice, green cyphastrea, gold chalice, Oregon tort, Cali tort, red table, purple monti, reverse-superman monti, green leptastrea? and RBTA

Sunset monti is not looking good and rainbow monti seems to be RTN'ing

:(

Back