Our mission

99sf's 150-Gallon Upgrade

Hope four gallons of straight vinegar is enough to clean the tank, sump and skimmer. Maybe I should have bought more at Costco.

Unfortunately, I can't make it to Tap during the workday, so I will have to get the Novus through mail order, either via the ebay link that Arthur suggested, or as part of the larger Marine Depot order.

I never been to TAP either but good to know. Been told Tap is like the most expensive place for stuff from former employees from there.

Tap is a bit on the pricey side when it comes to actual plastics, hell even their scrap bin has been going up in price, but if you need something now, and don't know exactly what you need, it's a good place for scrounging :D

As to the polishing agents and acrylic welding solvents, I think they're priced fairly well, I mean its not like you go through a ton of the stuff usually. I usually have a tube of WeldON 16, can of WeldOn 3, Novus 2 & 3 on stock always though for repairs/building stuff.

You really don't need novus 1. However for that size of a tank I would get a bigger bottle than a 2oz size of novus 2 and 3. The 2oz bottle is not going to cut it. Also while you are at tap pick up a lot of wet sand paper of various grit.

I don't think she is planning to do sanding given the time...but I would do 400gr-600gr-800gr -1000gr- 1200gr- 1600gr- 2000 gr- 2500gr sand - paper then hit it with Novus 2. that is what I used for the 220 I just buffed out...took me like 12 hours over 2 weeks. I have not used Novus 3, I wonder how deep of a scratch that can remove, maybe less sanding with Novus 3 then Novus 2. The Novus 1 is for like cleaning it off.

If you did novus 3, it would have taken you a shorter amount of time. You don't need to go that to that fine of grit. 600, 800, 1000, novus 3, novus 2 is probably enough.

damn it sounds like i could have saved half the time, but I kinda like seeing the 2000gr hit the tank, it was almost clear with that grain. Maybe when you get to 1000 go to 2000 then Novus 3 to Novus 2?

Thanks for the advice; I will buy the 8-ounce bottles of Novus 2 and Novus 3, rather than the 2-ounce bottles. Is it worth getting the Novus 1 spray?

Another question: how much better are Algae Free magnetic cleaners than Mag Floats? The price difference is significant. Given that the tank is 5/8" thick, is a wooden Algae Free cleaner really necessary?

I will say that a good magnet + might magnet socks and other accessories are vital on an acrylic tank, if you get those brown diatom crusts like I do, it takes a bit too much force to scrape off with mag floats just don't have the strength.

99sf said:
Good point about the coraline removal. I was planning to use the vinegar and some old credit/membership cards to remove it from the tank. Is there a better method?

Plastic electrical outlet covers or switchplate covers work better than credit cards for heavy coralline.

Thanks for the switchplate idea! I will definitely try that, due to the heavy coralline buildup.

Patchin (Steve), so glad you're on board also. With the expertise of BAR veterans, I hope I do not lose any livestock.

For the heavy coralline buildup use vinegar in a dry tank of course. If you can clean the empty tank out doors you can use muriatic acid. It is very strong and should be diluted and used carefully.
It works like a dream though. Muriatic acid will etch concrete and some types of stone.
I find it great for cleaning all the calcium based stuff in sumps,pumps,tanks ect. Again take care if you decide to use it as it makes vinegar seem like water.

I second what Mike says about the MM socks, they are the only thing that does a good job on the little stubborn diatoms.

Also, when using vinegar the trick is to let it sit on the coralline for a while before starting your scrape, set the tank front side down and pour the vinegar in the tank and let it sit there for at least 1/2 an hour.

Here you go.

return.jpg

Piece on the right there just slips into the receptacle on the pump and locks in.

Why would you want to do that? Great for keeping long lengths of tubing separate from the water mixing pump and just attach it whenever you need to pump water out. Also works for emptying tanks. Makes things a bit easier.

Jon, I think I heard the guys on "Car Talk" recommending muriatic acid for some application. I'll be doing the cleaning near the lawn, so I don't want to ruin it with the muriatic acid. Will put the full-strength on the buildup, and look forward to smelling like a salad for a few days. Eric, the photo of your quick connect looks great... I think I might have bought the wrong part at the hardware store.

What do you all think about having the main flow inside the mixed reef tank being provided by 3 Koralia 3 powerheads? Currently, there is 1 Koralia 3 and about 7 smaller powerheads, wired together at the two ends of the tank. I know the ideal solution would be two Vortechs with battery backup, but I'm trying to stick within a budget, and will already have 2 Koralia 3s. Sufficient flow for LPS and the montipora caps?

Jeremy, when you talk about the Mighty Magnet socks, is this what you mean? F1 Plus

Back