99sf's 150-Gallon Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by 99sf, Jan 14, 2010.

1. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Nice shots, I want to see the red fungia though!

:D

2. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Just looking at the pics again the scroll coral has a cool 3d effect

3. 99sf

99sf Guest

Eileen, glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with roving yumas.
    Rusty, will try to get a photo of the damaged reddish/pink fungia frag. I am afraid that the yuma encroached on the mouth.
    Mario, that's great news about the nano stand!!!!!

4. houser

houser Past President

I think it would be a crime to cut the turbinaria to be honest. I'm not going to lie if you chop it I'll take a frag, but perhaps let it get huge?

5. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I had a yuma nuke a chunk out of a lobo before.

6. 99sf

99sf Guest

Updated photos (before the swap):
    The giant anemone finally shows signs of splitting (short tentacles coming through the mouth area). Is it fair to call this a green BTA with orange tips?
    [​IMG]
    Left side:
    [​IMG]
    Grow, frags, grow! Helps that I replaced the bulbs through the AC group buy... noticing better growth with Ushio 20K plus.
    [​IMG]
    Showing 2 of my 3 my DBTC corals: green goni from Cookie Jar, war-like coral from Screebo. The purple cap from Orion is the third DBTC in my possession. Also showing the recovering reddish/ pink plate coral frag. Large cleaner shrimp is from Neptune, courtesy of my sister's gift card.
    [​IMG]

7. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Ooh nice pic of the plate finally. :) I like it!

He's so fluffy I'm gonna die!

Nice BTA too, I like the green with orange tips.

8. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

I like the color of the anemone. I hope it splits.

The plate is crazy

9. jellygeee

jellygeee Guest

Great growth on the frags and nice tank =)

10. 99sf

99sf Guest

Ouch! When re-arranging the frag rack at the back of the tank two nights ago, my arm briefly touched the 250W DE pendant's glass shield. Sizzling sound, instant pain. Now I have peeling skin :((
    [​IMG]

11. 99sf

99sf Guest

Unfortunately, the beautiful red plate frag did not survive an encounter with a green yuma that attached under the frag. |(

12. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Ouch !!! been there; Got some Aloe sunburn gel? has topical anesthetics to help with the pain.

13. 99sf

99sf Guest

The anemone split once, and is getting ready to split again.
    [​IMG]
    Donut coral after getting target fed:
    [​IMG]
    Sunset monti is really expanding:
    [​IMG]
    Cloves from Aquatic Central:
    [​IMG]
    Acan frags (I really need to learn how to properly use the camera):
    [​IMG]

14. jugato

jugato Guest

Tank is looking really good. I'm envious of your anemones. I had planned on getting one for my tank but I've decide that there just isn't room unless I'm going to remove most of the corals I have. Also, your sunset monti looks great. Mine has been growing, but rather slowly.

15. jellygeee

jellygeee Guest

Keep an eye out for the anemone when it splits. It will move around looking for new space.

16. yardartist

yardartist Guest

The teal and purple curling in front of the sunset is very nice too.

17. screebo

screebo Guest

Very nice, Christina. Your tank looks GREAT. Watch that Sunset Monti.........it will encrust and encrust and encrust. I love it and let it just "have it's way" in my tank. :cool:

18. 99sf

99sf Guest

Thank you Justin, Richard & John. Like John, I've decided to let the sunset monti go wild. I remember when I first began a reef tank three years ago that sunset monti was a very rare, expensive coral. Due to the success of captive prop., it's now common and not expensive!

Richard, please let me know if you'd like a frag of the acro in front of the sunset. I think it's a tri-color valida, but it looks different from the larger colony that I have to the right.

Justin & Jelly, you are right about the anemone moving during splitting and needing space away from the corals. I frequently have to move the corals on the right half of the tank out of the path of the anemone's reach. But the anemone is worth the hassle!