A general message from the President- Please Read

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by seminolecpa, May 4, 2011.

1. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Sorry for having to post this message here, but it appears that there is some forum issue currently with several of the Club Business forums.

First off I want to thank everyone who has volunteered so far for BAYMAC and some of our more recent events. Please take what I am about to say with a grain of salt as it is not particularly directed at you.

I realize that people have lives and priorities outside of this club, we all do, but this club lives and breathes on the generosity of its members, without it, we are nothing. It has seemed lately that the club is moving more in a direction where people expect more and give less. Again, there are many people that go above and beyond, but this club is only the sum of its parts. I also understand that people want to enjoy the events that we put on and/or sponsor, as well they should, but if everyone does that and the burden falls on the same few people to do all of the work, it is only a matter of time before those people stop caring so much and ultimately give up.

We currently have a board that has been indentured to this club for a very long period of time and has worked very hard to ensure that we continue to thrive and flourish. I will tell you that after this year several of us (myself included) will be stepping down. It is crucial that we have others that are willing and able to step up in our place for this club to continue.

Case in point. We have the opportunity to be the lead in what is becoming a nationally recognized event in BAYMAC, yet of our 200 sum members we have barely 20 (non BOD) volunteers. I want you to ask yourself, how much have I received from this club given me vs. how much have I given back. Please do not consider this note a threat or even an ultimatum nor to try to ensue any sort of panic, but moreso a cry for real help if you want to see this club continue to flourish.

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

As a past BOD member twice over and some one that works with clubs all over the US I can tell you the most common issue clubs have is a few committed people always carry the club and when they burn out... so does the club. Get involved, help out... BAR is 100% member run and 100% volunteer. With out volunteers the club can not exist.

Thanks to every one that has voluntered at BAR and BAYMAC as well.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Well I for one thought it'd be a no brainer to fill the spots, I mean hell my volunteer work at the last frag swap almost seemed like I wasn't doing anything being as every spot was filled with help (that and for the most part it was true as not a lot of people asked for help on corals :D).

Thing is doesn't seem like there's much stress in how much help is needed, other than this message maybe :D, a quick count at Brian's list on the volunteer thread shows a minimum of 65 people/hours (er 3/4 hours) needed not including things like general clean up. Assuming each member volunteers for 1 spot that's a third of the club members needed for the event.

That said this little flickering matchstick is in for at least 2 time slots.

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Its not just about BAYMAC. In fact reading my message, mine had nothing to do with BAYMAC.

And Mike... you are a past BOD member and some one that has voluntered at countless events. The over all message is for those that do not volunteer :) You live the message, and thank you for that :)

5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I hear the point and agree that people will have to step up in the future to keep this club at the level of awesomeness that it currently enjoys. I think one issue for people taking a greater role is that not everyone feels comfy with what steps to take toward assuming a greater role in the club. I've been a member for a little over a year, have volunteered at the swaps and baymacs, and that has been easy and straight forward. As far as BOD, and any other stuff that needs doing I am willing, but don't really feel like I've been around long enough to jump in and take on a bigger role. Not sure how to fix this, for me maybe just a bit more time around here is what I need, but maybe for everyone else there should be some sort of "beginner" type positions so we can get our feet wet? I think screebo starting as notetaker is a good example. He goes to the BOD meetings, and gets to see how things work while having a pretty small role. Maybe just attending BOD meetings would be a good first step? I mean, you can't just sign up one day and become president the next right! Any intermediary steps that you former guys can reccomwnd may be helpful/inspiring to some of us future guys. Just a thought.

6. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

Mike, speaking as a member of the BOD, having people help with swaps and BAYMAC is huge and we thank everyone that does. As for taking on a larger respnsibilty with the club we encourge all members that want to, go for it. The bigest thing people can do is volunteer to do something. Take the inititive and find things that you think you can do to help. If being a part of the BOD is something that you would like to do, but you worry that because of your time with the club limits your abilities don't. As for the BOD posistions there are only a select few that would most likely not go to newer members just because of the work it intells or the type of responsibilty it has, but the majority of the roles can be filled by anyone that is willing to help make this club better. Past and current BOD members will always be around to help, and give guidence were needed.

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

When I joined tbe club, I was instantly on the BOD. It doesn't require major skillsets beyond the position itself of which have published definitions. It really mainly requires a committment to the club and position

8. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

+1

I started going to BOD meetings, then they asked me if I wanted to be on the Board. Heck I was going anyway...... All you really need is a desire for the club to carryon.

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

When I was on the BOD we had to walk up hill both ways WITH NO FEET in the snow, at night while carrying 5 gallon buckets of salt water. Thankfully things have progressed and the BOD & club is a wheel greased machine.

10. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

You calling us greasy??????

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I'd run again for a BOD position but I just don't have the time given my travel and work schedule. I'm still waiting on the OAL position the BOD was talking about, but I'm not pushing anyone to make it happen :lol: I randomly ask about it.

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

One of the issues is letting it be known that you want to help, showing up at the BOD meetings is a big sign that you want to help beyond just being a member and lending a hand every now and again.

We have several people on the BOD that are burning out big time and to those of us who sit on the board it would be comforting to know that the club can not only continue in the direction it is headed, but become better.

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

We can use a few more people on door duty and on sales for BAYMAC.
    If anybody is tentative about volunteering, just go for it. I'll give you a hand if you like. Don't be shy!

14. Thales

Thales Past President

This club has survived so long so well because people are willing to do some work. If there aren't people willing to do the work, it comes to a halt. Its not working correctly if the same people have to do the work all the time. It has got to be a group effort - if you have any juice at all, participate!

This kind of situation has happened a couple of times in the history of BAR - I hope like them, this time people will see that the club is what the members make it. :D

PS
    Being a founding member and past president of BAR is one of the things I am proudest of in my Reefkeeping career. Thanks in advance for keeping it thriving. :D

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Head over to SEABAY to see what happens when the BOD burns out and no one is left to carry the flame...

16. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Or BARE.

17. Thales

Thales Past President

BARE was a little different - that was one person stopping others from helping which can be just as bad as others not helping one person. :D

18. bookfish

bookfish Guest

19. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Doesn't matter, can we let go of this now please? This thread really is not the place, and now really isn't the time. that story is not a motivating story to say the least and it will not inspire others to help :D

20. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

The situation started out identical to this one, hopefully it plays out differently. ;)

In any case my intent wasn't to dredge up old stories, but I wanted to add a gentle reminder that even in the history of this organization there have been times when burned out leadership spelled the end. At one time BARE was a very robust organization. It's a lot of work to run something like this, especially if it rests on the shoulders of one or two people.

I feel it's very important that these transitions be done smoothly, and strongly agree that the time to start getting involved is now, if you have any interest at all. Attend BOD meetings so you know what's going on, the commitments involved, and the planning required to set up events. The time to learn how to run the club is while it's running smoothly, not after people have burned out and left.

I also feel like a hypocrite posting that, because one of my conditions to myself for (re?)joining a club like this was that I not allow myself to take on any leadership roles, but felt it was worth saying anyways.