Reef nutrition

A joint effort (retired)

houser

Past President
Gomer need a place to store his stuff for a few months. I certainly don't mind having an extra tank to look after so with a little setup we ended up with this last Thursday night.

20L, sump, some pluming, remora, 250W Radium and voila!

So Tony shows up with this... Looks innocent enough.
cooler.jpg

Mid process...
gomer2.jpg

Ohh fishroom is always blue.
radium.jpg

Let's take some blue out.
wb.jpg

Plate really does inflate like a monster.
Brain get's pretty damn big too good thing you cut the rack as high as you did.
Duncans are cool I'm a believer now.
Nice LPS collection.
SPS all transferred well and have excellent PE. Too early to say for certain but I don't believe they're going to be brown when you get them :bigsmile: and they most certainly will be bigger.

Hell ya I am. Dave is also a DIY nut. I love it!

Dave, definitely had to keep that brain in mind while chopping the rack. Hope I made the rack tall enough! Duncans are actually Dremel safe if the head is on it's own stalk, so feel free to get yourself a frag :-D The two duncans in there are two different color morphs.

The plate dave is talking about is the green one on the left. It easily gets 2" bigger in diameter and 1/2" taller when it is happy. Crazy guy!

The plate is definitely full size from wall of tank over almost to brain. I was shocked. The orange plate is still small though. Brain gets pretty close to rack.

That night went something like this...

I was building as fast as I could. The rack that this thing is on is a new rack, so I'm basically outfitting it as we go. Tony built a nice frag rack and from what little I paid attention didn't waste a minute building exactly what he had in mind.

Light is pretty high, haven't measured PAR yet, but everything looks pretty good so I'll let it settle for next 2 weeks before considering making any changes.

Still need to add the peripump and FS for topoff. Evap seems low with the fully enclosed sump??

And BTW the 80G was positioned next door yesterday and filled late last night. Another build log coming.

I bought the mangroves about 16 or 18 months ago as pods off ebay for 50 cents a pop. I know someone here at BAR has them and brings them to meetings right? You can put them wherever you want.
They've been in damp sand with just FW the entire time. To say they're neglected might be an understatement. And what the picture doesn't show is that I made a little tent over them with shadecloth so they don't get cooked alive since they've essentially been in the dark for last year and a half.

If you get pods then you can start them in SW or FW, but if you get sprouts know the salinity beforehand...

Thats a nice little tank.

Where did you get the mangrove sprouts? I would like to put one in my tank. Is it possible or do they need a special refugium? My tank is 17in tall, would the roots need to be in the sand? I have plenty of space above my tank with the halide hanging. Just worried about the roots either breaking the glass or moving the rocks. Is that a concern?

Edit:
google is neat
For anyone looking for info on mangroves in the reef tank
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php

Ok just spent 10 days on the road and no issues. I was not worried about my stuff, but there was a little extra pressure with Tony's. Prior to setting off I was real busy getting my new "fishroom" up and running. In addition I was trying to find the time to launch my 80. Well I did not have enough time to finish it, but it is running with some rock (another thread coming).

Prior to leaving I needed to integrate this tank into my existing control system. I added 2 float switches and a level sensor to the sump, and the level sensor was the primary feedback for the peripump supplying a dilute kalk drip. It's a system I employ on my tray and it works very well. I had 2 late nights getting it up and going but in the end at 3am the morning of my vacation I had installed the sensors, built the cables, and programmed both the FPGA and real-time sides of my controller. A quick test of the system, it worked fine, so time to put it to use.

I'm curious to test some params tomorrow to see how much she's drifted. I'm feeding both frag setups from the same kalk reservoir and that one was mixed perfectly for the tray. I have a hunch both setups have similar requirements though. From the few minutes I caught it before lights out it looked really nice ;)

Tested ALK this morning and at 12 up from 11. Seems like the kalk soln is just about perfect. I guessed both systems were about the same, and that was good since they pull from the same 25 gallon kalk reservoir (and did over the vacation). That makes 15 days with no tinkering or hands or other input from the operator.

Brown SPS in many cases greening/coloring up. Road to recovery!!

sounds awesome! Thanks. I just made it into Santa Fe and all my fish are ok and eating. I do need to do a water change of sorts though. Been in a small tank (~6-7g of water) for 5 days already.

Tony,

It took me forever to finally make the plastic replicas of your corals. Mix of wax museum and taxidermy. I hope nobody can tell the difference.

At about 3 o'clock in this picture you can see that destroyed polyp from the other day when the chalice lashed out. Previously everybody was playing nice...
Gomer1.jpg

The SPS side, remember these were brown not long ago. Right there on the right is the textbook red planet. Way in back left is my goni from Bill (CookieJar)
Gomer2-1.jpg

And how about some love for the LPS hanging out down below???
Gomer3.jpg

Take a good look at the pest anemone in the middle because she's getting blasted soon.

Nice shots, the LPS underneath look like they could eat the smaller frags on top. And what collection of SPS frags would be complete w/o the 'BAR undata'....In last pic is it a brain or lobo?

Back