High Tide Aquatics

A question about Mesh-mod's, and another about Oyster Feast

I was just wondering if mesh-mods really improve performance in Euro-Reef skimmers (or any skimmer for that matter). I mean, I know they improve performance; the Euro-Reef I purchased used came with the mesh-mod already done to it, so I don't know what performance is like without it, or with a regular needle-wheel impeller. Yes, no, is it worth the bother?

And also, I just got a bottle of Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast. I have a 33g system (~40g total volume), that I would call light to moderately stocked. I have a couple small purple sea fans, SPS, LPS (do these eat OF?), and soft corals (mainly zoanthids and such). I want to feed every morning when I wake up when my tank is still dark. All of the my corals have their tentacles or polyps out ... how many drops of Oyster Feast might you recommend I add to the tank?
If you're feeding this to your tank, or anything similar, what kind of growth rate increases have you observed [or not] and in what corals?

Thanks all

I would say you don't need that much of the Oyster Feast in that small of a tank nor do you necessarily need to do it when the tank is dark. I use the precise measurement of a few squirts every couple of days in my 180 and usually target feed my LPS after with mysis or some other type of frozen food. My acros go crazy for it.

When I used it, I used enough to make the water a bit cloudy. It stayed cloudy for about 30 minutes then cleared up.

Be careful. Unless you have a good skimmer you are going to seriously up your nutrients. I have noticed when I add too much the algae on my glass tends to build up much faster.

Actually, I did notice that Brian. I am now adding two drops of OF to my system once every morning. I have a Euro-Reef RS-80 on my tank, so under skimming doesn't occur to easily :)

2 drops on a 40G is not enough IMO..
Feed the crap out of it and skim the crap out of it .. :D

I never have algae problem feeding OF.. Try phyto if you really want to see green algae..

Elite said:

+1

I believe the bottle has clear instructions on how much to feed. You should be feeding closer to 1/2 - 1 tsp! Also, it works much better if you pour it into a cup and mix with tank water before putting in the tank.

seminolecpa said:
I would say you don't need that much of the Oyster Feast in that small of a tank nor do you necessarily need to do it when the tank is dark. I use the precise measurement of a few squirts every couple of days in my 180 and usually target feed my LPS after with mysis or some other type of frozen food. My acros go crazy for it.

I always wondered why people think feeding every couple days helps or rather that it does much at all. These animals eat every single day and a TON at that. What you are doing is not building up their metabolism and thus your wasting the food (algal nutrient source). If you feed smaller amounts every day you'd see far less algal build up as most the food would be utilized. This is why I added the part on the instructions that tells you to start slow and build up.

cwolfus said:
Elite said:

+1

I believe the bottle has clear instructions on how much to feed. You should be feeding closer to 1/2 - 1 tsp! Also, it works much better if you pour it into a cup and mix with tank water before putting in the tank.

:) Start slow and build up. Try a 1/4 tsp daily for a few weeks and build up from there.

Back