Cali Kid Corals

A question for the nem experts out there

newhobby said:
What do you mean?
Place a cube close to it to irritate the nem in hopes it will move?

Place the ice cube in a glass, stir in vodka and vermouth; then swirl the glass near the nem. To really entice a stubborn nem, serve it in your speedos (Europeon style) and crank up Barry White. :bigsmile:

Yah, ice cube sort of worked for me. Took a bit of effort and some time though. When I have the luxury of doing it, I prefer the rock over a bucket method. Either that or I get lazy and leave it where it is w/ a powerhead at it. Eventually they usually move....good time for beers and photo editing IME.

iCon said:
tuberider said:
A technique that I've heard about yet never tried is to use an ice cube.

Anyone ever try it, or heard of it being used?

I've tried it without success.. Ice kept melting faster than the nem would detach. They would completely contract but still held on in the crevices of the rock.

+1 ...

I think 1 of them is unlikely to make it, if its looking as bad as it did this morning after today I will most likely let it die, the other one is inflating so I think it's got a good chance, lession learned, when you see them moving and your not likeling where they are going, do something about it early before they find a spot where you can't get em out

There's no way to have BTA's and SPS in the same tank and guarantee the safety of the SPS. I've heard of nems that had lived in 1 spot for years that suddenly start walking all over the tank. Why? Who knows, they're nems and that's what nems do.

bookfish said:
There's no way to have BTA's and SPS in the same tank and guarantee the safety of the SPS. I've heard of nems that had lived in 1 spot for years that suddenly start walking all over the tank. Why? Who knows, they're nems and that's what nems do.

+1 I have a tank I service weekly that has SPS and nems in it, the only SPS stuff I can keep in there are super fast growing cap and slimer stuff, that way I can yank out the dead coral after the nems are done eating it :D No purple monsters for sure.

tuberider said:
bookfish said:

+1 I have a tank I service weekly that has SPS and nems in it, the only SPS stuff I can keep in there are super fast growing cap and slimer stuff, that way I can yank out the dead coral after the nems are done eating it :D No purple monsters for sure.

+2

Mine stayed in the same spot for 5 years, then one day moved .. killed some stuff... then moved back.. little punk!!!

Well the way I plan on doing it is what I had before (and I screwed it up) the nems will be on an island 10" from the other rock work, that way if it trys to cross the sand I will have a chance to catch it (although IME they don't normaly cross the sand) this seem to work before I screwed up and let some rocks create a bridge

My last Long Tenticle crossed from the rock it was on across the sand to the front glass, then along the entire front of the tank from the left side to the right side along the sand bed. Then the next one would just let go of the rock flote in the current and land somewhere attach there for a while and then do it again. IME they will move across anything to anywhere whenever they feel like it.

Difference is thought, LTA's are sand dwellers for the most part, and BTA's almost always are found on reef heads. Roc's assessment of them not crossing sand is spot on :) I have seem them balloon up and float around though.

Very common with fresh imports. Mine hasn't done it, but I've seen many others do it. Mine walks calmly as it his path-o-destruction was deliberate :(

When I was getting the RBTA clone from Baymac settled in, it did manage to somehow get from one pillar to the next overnight. The two pillars are separated by a good 5" of sand, so I am guessing it took a ride in the currents.

I'm glad it didn't end up getting sucked into the Vortechs - makes me glad I turned down the flow until I figured it had found a good spot.

I wasn't able to save one of them (the one that never looked like it was gonna make it) after 3 days it just turned to slime, so I removed the slime and am running some carbon for the next couple of days until I do a WC. The other one actualy looks great, attached itself to a rock and has been moved to a larger rock in the tank in what I hope to be it's new home.

jdizzle707 said:
Are koralias a hazard for these guys? Karensanemones.com says they are safe but I'm not sure.

Anemones sometimes like to wander and depending on where your Koralias are, they might be a problem. There have been plenty of stories with people getting nems sucked in/stuck in powerheads. You can create makeshift screens to wrap around the Koralias (foam that protects fruit in shipping etc.) or prefilter accessories resembling a thin sponge filter.

Back