got ethical husbandry?

A rage opportunity: 1000g tank at work.

We're getting ready to move buildings at work and when a coworker was looking over the floorplans with our VP she asked "Where does the fish tank go?" His eyes lit up and he proclaimed "I want the biggest reef tank ever!" I get the honor of figuring out what that means, speccing the system, and finding a reputable maintenance service. Sound crazy? Probably, but inline with my VP.

I want to get him a list of facilities concerns ASAP while doing things like putting up walls and reinforcing floors can be done before we move. Here's what I've come up with so far.
  • Floor strength: (1000g DT + 200g sump + 100g fresh water + 100g salt water) * 9lbs/gal = 12600lbs... (quote him 15000 lbs?)
  • Wet Room next to tank:
    • 2x 100g reservoirs
    • 200g sump
    • QT
    • work space
      mini fridge/freezer (for food)
      storage(shelves/cabinets)
      sink
      waterproof floor
      drain in floor (nice to have)
    External Venting: both to tank hood and wet room

What am I missing?

Power is a HUGE one.

Depending on venting a chiller may be required.

Where is this going to be (city)? That determines which service company I'd suggest :)

Assuming your going with acrylic?

GreshamH said:
Power is a HUGE one.

Oh yeah. Don't know why I didn't list that. Though pulling power seems like a walk in the park compared to reenforcing a floor. How many 20A circuits should I spec? I assume having a few 220V circuits is good as well incase something like a monster chiller is needed.

GreshamH said:
Depending on venting a chiller may be required.

Yeah, I figured. I'm going to wait on enumerating the equipment until I get the facilities issues list made.

GreshamH said:
Where is this going to be (city)? That determines which service company I'd suggest :)

The tank will be in Mountain View.

GreshamH said:
Assuming your going with acrylic?

That was my assumption though I'm not sure I understand the long term scratch implications. I suppose most scratches will be external and can be buffed out.

I would do acrylic. Glass would add a lot more weight IIRC.

I would do at least 5x 20amp circuits and a couple 220. You can a 220 pump and 220 ballasts. IIRC 220 is a most efficient use of power?

Mountain View - The Aquarium Showroom, Aquatic Gallery or just maybe Tuberider would take it on.

GreshamH said:
I would do acrylic. Glass would add a lot more weight IIRC.

I would do at least 5x 20amp circuits and a couple 220. You can a 220 pump and 220 ballasts. IIRC 220 is a most efficient use of power?

The big win with efficiency for 220 is that it halves the current needed. Since resistance loss (the amount of voltage you lose through your wires) is proportional to current, you lose less with 220.

GreshamH said:
Mountain View - The Aquarium Showroom, Aquatic Gallery or just maybe Tuberider would take it on.

Thanks. Jeremy?

Yah, Jeremy. it may be out of his area and he may be full up on accounts. AG will be $$$ to service it. TAS will be cheaper.

There's a lot more to servicing a tank then just cleaning the glass :) I used to maintain a 680g and it took 2 full hours to clean and was not easy at all. It's more then simply scaling up from a smaller tank. Big tanks have unique problems most smaller tanks have.

1000g is friggin huge, Gresham is correct, sure bad things happen much slower in big tanks, but it's like steering a cruise ship, once it's on course it's very, very difficult to change direction ;)

tuberider said:
1000g is friggin huge, Gresham is correct, sure bad things happen much slower in big tanks, but it's like steering a cruise ship, once it's on course it's very, very difficult to change direction ;)

Hence the discussion of finding the right captain.

argh matey

teach.gif

maybe Blackbeard?

Let them know to expect to pay $2000 a month just in maintenance service costs. Might be worth it to figure out monthly power, food, and conservative livestock cost estimates too, and don't forget they may be paying for a full scuba setup for a diver. Lots of folks who've never kept them before think the cost of a fish tank is all up front.

I'd want a 300g container for water changes as a minimum.

If you're interested in a company that designs and builds from scratch to filling with water, call Tenji:
http://www.tenji.com/

They are based in the Monterey Area and have built every size shape and type of aquarium you could possibly imagine.

Hey I know a friend of mine hes from WA and has moved down here and hes in sunnyvale so not far from mountain view. Well hes got his own business going right now I could ask him if you want me to.

Four feet wide by Ten feet long by 40" deep would be about 1000 gallons.
That would be AWESOME!
Need a General Contractor?
That would be a fun build!

ok, I'm old and cynical. But make sure 'consulting' on this tank doesn't become 'blame' for this tank. In this economy, the last thing businesses need is to take on extra overhead.

Thanks of all the advice. I'm going to contact Aquatic Gallery and Aquarium Showroom and see what the ballpark for service would be.

Back