Neptune Aquatics

A reminder to check your Refractometers

I don't know how many of you listen to Reef Threads, but it's a great podcast I just discovered a couple weeks ago when I started running out of episodes on my usual podcasts. I downloaded a few episodes (including Rich's and Matt's great interview) loved them, and I am now most of the way through listening to the entire catalog.

Anyhows, I just got to an episode where they mentioned refractometers going out of calibration, and Gary's tank had dropped down a ways without him realizing it. When I bought mine 7 years ago it didn't come with any calibration fluid, so I figured as long as RO/DI read "0" I was good. WRONG. Finally got some calibration fluid today and lo and behold, my tank that I thought was at 1.026, is actually at 1.022!

So just a friendly reminder to check your refractometers with an actual calibration fluid.

I guess I'll start doing some water changes over the weekend to raise the salinity up, maybe replace the ATO with saltwater. Easy goes it, anything adversely effected by the low salinity has been as such for a while, so a few more days won't hurt.

I love Reef Threads ! Great reminder to calibrate your refractometers.

Checkout MASNA Live, Reef Videos, Reef Cast, Talking Reef, American Reef, Blue Zoo Radio, & Petlife Radio:Aquariumania to get your fix.

Thanks Mike, I'll have to give a few a try. I tried listening to reef addicts and couldn't get through the first episode. They were going on about marc having weekly facbook girlfriends for at least 15+ minutes.

Ha ha sorry, wasn't paying attention and copied the name from the quote in your sig! That's what I get for using my phone all the time. It's a pretty safe mistake to make, seems 90% of this club has the same name. Better watch out, we're taking over.

RHF has already thought of everything huh? I wonder how all those new fangled molecular gastronomy kits stack up. Digital scale could be useful.

jellygeee said:
So can I just use a tap water then to recalibrate it?

No, no, no! :)

You need to use a known salinity standard that is close to sea water! RO is very FAR from sea water. It would be better that nothing (maybe) but tap is a total unknown.

See the link above for a discussion on how to make your own standard or purchase a standard solution from some place like Bulk Reef Supply.

We are bringing back the "BAR standards" at next weeks BAR meeting w/Bob Fenner. BAR standards include salinity and alkalinity. Damn Tony don't give away all the secrets!

If you're coming to the meeting bring your refractometer and we'll get it all set up.

LOL at the pixie dust comment.
I wish I can go the meeting, but it's tough decision with a 5 months old baby. Is there anyone driving from SSF? Perhaps I can drop off my refractometer.

Thanks.
Rudy

Gomer said:
Coral reefer said:
Test a standard and adjust the screw on your refractometer until it reads where it should
+1

Note, calibrate at the target salinity (35 ppt), not with RO/DI water (0ppt).

And ifs cooler where you store them, warm up your refractometer and calibration solution in your hand, or pocket. I put them in my pocket while doing other stuff and like 15 - 20 minutes later do the calibration.

Back