High Tide Aquatics

A simple tool to clean your skimmer neck

So, I have an AquaC EV120. It works OK, but the neck (which is a straight cylinder) tends to get a coating of poo on it. Using a sponge often knocks the poo loose and back into the skimmer body, requiring the skimmer to skim it out again, so I make this super simple neck squeegee that doesn't let the poo fall back in...

skimmer_cup.JPG

So obviously, it is thin enough to fit in the neck with the cup off, and I just hold it by the top part, fit it in and scrape the poo with the lower lip, the crap just falls into the cup, then rotate and do all the sides.

You can use whatever flavor of yogurt you want! :p

Nice Vince. I don't have a skimmer like that but I can appreciate a well crafted tool that includes recycling! :D

Another skimmer cleaning tool I love it the foam paintbrush. As talked about on 'Reefthreads', it's just one of those cheap, disposable (but lasts a LONG time) foam brushes. Get one slightly wider that the space between the skim cup and inner tube. Couple of swipes around the cup and a couple inside the tube and the cup is clean!

Oh man Vince that is awesome! Next week I will make my reef club students make the yogurt cup tool. They fake gag at cleaning our EV120, take a long time and do a crappy job (pun intended).
We will also try the foam brush.
T.louderback, what is the window cleaner like that your friend glued on?

Back