Our mission

Acclimating SPS to LED

Nav

Most of our LFSs have acros under T5s or MHs. For those LED members out there, was wondering if you ever light-acclimate these frags when you buy them or just dip and glue them straight where you want them to sit?

I know some start from the bottom and move up slowly... if yes, how many days do you give it before you move them up?

I do it all different ways....lol

But normally I will look at Vivid.com as I like how they give par parameters and also give data on most reef tanks & people running carbon dosing or ULNS....

Then I bought 5 of these mag racks on Ebay and I will mount to a new plug and put it on the Mag rack and adjust to where is a good place I will raise and lower from a few days to weeks depending on how they do...then I will start to move it on the mag rack to the height I would like to see the coral in my tank and see how it does...if it does good then I will move it over to the rock...

Its more observation then anything....

Reactions: Nav
I try to keep in mind what the lighting was like at the LFS, sometimes it's similar LEDs to our Kessils, but often not. There's also big differences in position and water clarity to consider. I usually acclimate and put frags on the bottom of the tank at the outside of the light spread (front/sides of the bottom of the tank) until they look happy (good color and polyp extension). I will usually wait 2-3 days to let them acclimate to our tank and lighting, until they are happy and I have time to unmount/attach them. Sometimes I will move them to a middle position to give them time to adjust before going to a very high position, depending on how fragile they seem and how confident I am in their lighting needs.

Back