High Tide Aquatics

Acro frag without tip?

A general question, sometimes I see frags of bottom part of Acropora branch offering in stores, seems these frags are less desirable cause in general they are priced lower.

Since I have never gotten a frag without tip, my question is in general are these frags grow slower or have other issues comparing to frags with tips?

My guess is they'd be slower to grow upwards, since they would need to form a 'tip'. But not necessarily much slower in expanding/encrusting. I guess there could also be more potential for infection due to having two ends that are cut vs the usual one flat end.

Make sense, bigger chances of infection.

But I guess they are not necessarily grow slower, I've read more than 1 time someone post trick if one of your coral does not grow, try cutting the tip :)

Yep, if your coral doesn't grow cutting the tip can entice it to grow. Frags with out tips should grow as well as or better than a frag with a tip.

I had a Y shaped frag that accidently split when i was placing it. For fun I glued one upside down. The upside down one with the cut side up grew faster.... then a hermit pushed them into a BTA :tired:. never really got that tip, just grew in girth and branched off.

I like also to side mount frags like that. Takes a little longer for you to get the gratification as it will puddle for a while, but when it does....... bam

Back