High Tide Aquatics

Acrylic tank bowing

I just got a truvu 55L for cheap and it's filled about 98% of water and the front and back are bowing. I put a straight edge against it and measured the ends and it's bowing out 5/8"! I read online that 1/2" should be ok but it's an 1/8" over. The top had a crack on the left rear between the heater hole and opening but it still look sturdy. The top also looks a lil dipped in from the bowing. Should I be worried? It's been filled for a couple days now with no leaks and the seams look ok.

Do you have hardwood floors?
Carpet dries. Hardwood warps.
I agree that the crack is more bothersome than the bow.
You could laminate the crack and the heater hole with some acrylic glue and some plexiglass.

The tank is only a QT in my storage area which has concrete floors. Only thing I'm worried about is if it does break and it gets the boxes wet and my wife yelling at me. You have any recommendations on what glue to get? Probably go to tap plastics and buy a small piece and some glue?

sfboarders said:
The tank is only a QT in my storage area which has concrete floors. Only thing I'm worried about is if it does break and it gets the boxes wet and my wife yelling at me. You have any recommendations on what glue to get? Probably go to tap plastics and buy a small piece and some glue?

Exactly!

He he, all Production tanks are thin and they bowe! Ive seen some huge tanks 8x2x36" built thin and bowing in store situations a full inch?
They look really funny (not in my house =)) but as long as they have good clear seams you need not worry. Cracks though, watch em close. A trick I learned from a hot rod guy is to drill a hole with an acrylic bit in front of the crack and back plate the crack w acrylic and weld on 16. Check out my thread on seam separation, its not pretty but there are ways to fix. http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8862

Gen it's one of your tanks! j/k :p It looks like an older tank from your competitors across the bay. It's pretty thin, looks 1/8" thick. The sump you built me is more thicker than this thing.

Mel - Thanks for the offer but I ended up buying some 3/8" plexiglass and doing a lap on both the top and bottom crack. :)

Please don't get into competitor bashing Gen & John. This forum has been devoid of such poor practices and I would hate to see it start now especially since Scott is not registered to post here, although I am sure given enough of these posts by Gen he'll be inclined. Hehe :p

GreshamH said:
Please don't get into competitor bashing Gen & John. This forum has been devoid of such poor practices and I would hate to see it start now especially since Scott is not registered to post here, although I am sure given enough of these posts by Gen he'll be inclined. Hehe :p

0:)

Its all good, I never mention who and where the things ive seen came from, mine have had issues too. I would be one to understand the complexities of what it takes to make a buck!

krittertanks said:
Its all good, I never mention who and where the things ive seen came from, mine have had issues too. I would be one to understand the complexities of what it takes to make a buck!

Reading between the lines is rather easy on this one Gen. Thread is about a TruVu "production tank" and you happen to be their only local competition ;)

take it from me, I rarely IF ever comment on my competition. Just a lousy way to conduct yourself, as well as to promote yourself.

GreshamH said:
krittertanks said:

Reading between the lines is rather easy on this one Gen. Thread is about a TruVu "production tank" and you happen to be their only local competition ;)

I will vouch for this, Gen based his production tanks on Scott's, which were loosely based on AGA's ODs. I never read it as him digging into Scott, and as someone that knows Gen well, he knows I've talked more crap on TruVu and have had Gen pull the reins back on me so many times when I'm on my soapbox cursing (not just Scott) acrylic tanks. You can take that to the bank.

Gen understands like many of us, there's no $$$$ in the hobby, that's why we're professional hobbyists :D and with that said that's why he respects Scott, I've even heard that from the horses mouth :)

Back