High Tide Aquatics

add(ing) sand

houser

Past President
I'm planning on adding > 4 cubic feet of sand or so to my tank.

Should I pre-soak it in SW in any way before adding?

I am more concerned with chemistry-related issues instead of the sandstorm issues. I have created my very own sandstorms before and know all about them ;) I might add in smaller manageable amounts over time, or even drain completely and do it all at once. Since I have never added sand to a fully-running stable SPS setup before, that's where I'd like your opinions. How unstable could it get?

Thx

I've added sand in the past but very well rinsed out with freshwater then sun dried; I used a PVCABS? reducer that acts as a funnel, connected to a long piece of PVC, think it was 1" PVC. I scooped the dry sand and added it slowly through the funnel assembly and lifted the pipe off the bottom very slowly.
Water does get cloudy but not a huge sand storm. Thin layers at a time few day in between layers.

I washed a whole bunch of sand today and soaking it for a few days in some SW. This forces me to keep the pace up and do this SOON

I'll keep an eye on it. Proper motivation I guess.
I did add a little last night before heading out and anticipate adding a fair amount today.

I too have added dry sand and absolutely made a mess! That was in a LPS dominant setup and they slimed up like hell in the whiteout. So far I'm not seeing the same behaviour on the few LPS I have now, in fact they couldn't care less. One bucket in so far, one to go. First bucket is the base so I went quick, second I'll take my time as the week goes along. Full on whiteout as expected. Visibility poor!

I've taken to washing sand with tap water then using a dog bowl to scoop it up. Most of it stays in the bowl if you submerge and lower to the bottom slowly. If done with pumps off I get very little clouding

I actually didn't get much clouding until I got to the bottom of the bucket. Then it got WAY messy. Might have been better to have taken from rinsed bucket #2, then rerinsed the remainder. This stuff is sugar so it is messy no matter what. Larger grain to follow base coat later. Clearing now and I can see somewhat!! Another WT and coke for me!

When i wash sand I add a little de chlorinator to the last rinse, swish the sand around in the dechlorinated water, and then drain it before putting it in the tank. Seems to work okay.

By lights out last night it was fairly clear. I'm getting back in there today at some stage to add the second bucket. Third bucket monday. Did debate adding that second bucket last night but it was getting stormy and nasty and I would have been in a pickle if the power went out with 60 lbs of cold sand, whiteout, and working in the dark with rocks and frags piled up everywhere!

Back