High Tide Aquatics

Adding a bulb/socket to an existing lumenbrite fixture.

JAR

I had an idea to add a bulb to my fixture.
I currently have 2x250 watt bulbs and after seeing Bryan's tank over the weekend I am convinced that 400w creates growth that I am just not getting with 250w.
However, I'm thinking of a hybrid fixture that I can run a 400w bulb in for like an hour or two a day creating like a "high noon effect" and then having my 250's do the rest of the work for 2-3 hours before and after.
If I wanted I could play with 250+250 or even 250+400 in each fixture.

The main goal here is to get the good growth and avoid the $ of running 400 full time and having more flexibility with bulbs.
And for fun.
I figure I could just cut a hole in the lumenbrite and add another mogul base and run them side by side.

wadduyathink guys?

The reflectors are somewhat a parabolic shape with the bulb located approximately at the focus of the paraboloid. If you move the bulbs to the side it shifts the beam and scatters the light. Also having bulbs side by side you would lose one edge of the bulb from blockage and that portion of the reflector would not be used. I had 2x 400w running and the electric bill was kinda high. I ended up turning them on only 5-6 hours a day and staggering the start times so that the tank would stay lit longer than 6 hours. SPS colors were still good but growth slowed down a bit.

The marginal increase in electricity going from 250w to 400w is not that substantial. I think where the cost comes in is with the added heat the 400W adds to the tank or that you need to pull out.

That said, what about changing your ballasts out to lumentek (or like ballasts) which give you the option of running 250, 250 HQI. 400W or 400 HQI from the same balast and mogul socket? It helps with the flexibility. I have heard of people running them at 250W in the summer and 400W in the winter (though I have never personally done that.

talk to Rich, he had special fixtures made for him that runs two bulbs IIRC. Maybe he can take some pics for you to show you how it was done.

Also I think you'll lose a lot not having the bulb at the focal point of your mirrors, so you may think you're saving by not having the 400W on, but overall you might be getting less light than you think.

Anyway you can cram some DE fixtures between your reflectors? Just a few spotlights to give that extra oomph you need without messing up the mechanics of your existing fixtures?

PGS makes a Lumenarc that can handle 2 bulbs, you might wan to check that out. Or look into twin arc bulbs that have a 10k and a 20k envelope. Or bump up to 14k bulbs for higher PAR.

tuberider said:
PGS makes a Lumenarc that can handle 2 bulbs, you might wan to check that out. Or look into twin arc bulbs that have a 10k and a 20k envelope. Or bump up to 14k bulbs for higher PAR.
Interesting

Back