Kessil

Advice on a return pump

seminolecpa

Past President
Currently I am running a Mag 7 for my return and I am likely going to replace it . Does anyone have any advice as to a replacement. I was thinking of going with something with a little higher output like a Mag 9 or 12.5 but I know little about any other options that are out there (perhaps more energy efficient or quieter or something better).

FYI I run it from my sump through a 1/10 HP Chiller before it goes back into my tank.

Thanks in advance.

How big is your tank? How many returns/drain lines do you have?

The bigger pump will work, but only if the return can handle it. The more power going through it will also increase drain noise.

I have been more than happy with my Mag 18's - I am running two of them wide open on my 210. They go through a OM 4-way and then it's about 6ft height. 2 Drains @ 1" for the returns. not sure about the energy costs, but the pumps have been great and my drain noise is minimal at best - I sleep on the sofa next to it no problem, but thats easier to do when you have a 4 month old baby ;)

Power isn't really that much of a consideration though if I could use less power all the better. Would prefer it to be in sump as space is a consideration. The return line is 1"

Well I might be in the minority here but I like the Quiet One series of pumps, I also like the RioHF series (although they use stainless steel shafts and I'm unsure the effect that has on the aquarium), both are high on the output to power used ratio compared to other pumps (especially the Mag series). Anyway you go using a bit of flexible tubing before any solid pvc goes a long way to reducing sound.

I use a Via Aqua 3600, and previously to that a Via Aqua 2600 on my 58RR, running through a 2 way Squirt. Works good but I might go back to the lower flow 2600. I tried a Quiet One 4000 as well, but it kept jamming with sand. In anycase, the Via Aquas have been dead reliable over 3 years. (And they are nice and cheap, submersible only)

V

How abouqt go for lower turnover through the sump? As low as 5x is supposed to be good. Quieter and better for skimming. Then do high turnover in the tank itself with Seios or closed loop.

Not only do I use the ViaAqua 3600 (1057 gph at 0' feet, running at about 3.5 foot head) I also have 2 Seios in my tank.

I might go back to the smaller pump. Mostly because it's 45W instead of 80W. (A savings of a whopping $3 or so per month ;) )

Mostly, I think the flow is too much such that the overflow is running to near max capacity and it's causing a lot more noise. In fact I think it's overwhelming the "Durso-ness" of the AGA/Oceanic "Overflow kit".

I didn't think that higher turn over would affect the skimmer. I do think it may cause a bit more evaporation.

My point was simply not to overlook the Via Aqua pumps as I've found mine reliable and the pump itself is quite quiet. In contrast, the Mag5 that's running my AquaC EV120 skimmer seems to vibrate more and I can really hear it.

V

Check out the assorted info on skimmer design and sumps. Slower turnover is supposed to give you better skimming. Supposed to be better to feed the skimmer directly from the overflow too. Longer processing time on the dirtiest fraction of the water pulls out the most organics.

Check out the assorted info on skimmer design and sumps. Slower turnover is supposed to give you better skimming. Supposed to be better to feed the skimmer directly from the overflow too. Longer processing time on the dirtiest fraction of the water pulls out the most organics.

Back