Kessil

AE Tech Sumps and skimmers

Anyone have any experience with AE Tech sumps or skimmers, they are a little speedy but look quality built and designed. Considering for new build of a 125 gallon tank and I like how everything is so structured. Looking specifically at the following setup
Protean 600 large

Interested to see people's experience and thoughts

It looks nice and well built but it's certainly something you can build yourself. However, if you have extra money to spend on something like this, your time may be more valuable... just depends on your preference. After all, it's just a bunch of acrylic, glue, and equipment put together after all... nothing revolutionary. :)

denzil said:
It looks nice and well built but it's certainly something you can build yourself. However, if you have extra money to spend on something like this, your time may be more valuable... just depends on your preference. After all, it's just a bunch of acrylic, glue, and equipment put together after all... nothing revolutionary. :)

True, I just really liked some of the features for organization however those could probably be accomplished as well with a little time...

Lets face it, any money saved can be put where you see it although I have to admit that I am not a master sump designer... Might have a ton more questions to follow...

Norcalhkr said:
denzil said:

True, I just really liked some of the features for organization however those could probably be accomplished as well with a little time...

Lets face it, any money saved can be put where you see it although I have to admit that I am not a master sump designer... Might have a ton more questions to follow...

Yeah, just involves some research and some trial and error. I'm pretty set on my design but I haven't done the design using any software but at some point I will and will share it on my tank journal thread.

+1 on Mike's sentiments. I looked into them way back in the day, but ultimately did a DiY sump and invested the money I saved in a good skimmer. Reef Octopus have a reputation for being best bang for your buck skimmer.

I see a lot about reef octopus but does anyone have reasons why they like them so much? Also with so many models which ones are better than others? It seems like they have a few different designs.

Back