Our mission

Aeptasia breakout need to mow them down

Vince-I haven't had any problems handling sodium hydroxide, but agree to use care with caustic chemicals. I bought my sodium hydroxide (technical grade) from Essential Depot:

http://m.essentialdepot.com/site/854966

They usually run specials and free shipping. :)

I think aptasia X is water downed kalkwasser paste ? I used it in my Red Sea Max to help with aptasia with varying success.

Kris-my coraline algae will bleach from the sodium hydroxide also, but grows back.

I'm still on the stage of getting my pepps addicted to the flake I've been giving them, they act like I'm giving them crack when I throw it in the tank, before it even starts to sink they're running around all over the place beating up hermit crabs in the process to make sure they get all the flakes to themselves, I'm confident that once I put Aiptasia in front of them & target feed it they will be inclined to rip that Aiptasia apart for their beloved flakes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 8)

HiFidelity said:
I'm still on the stage of getting my pepps addicted to the flake I've been giving them, they act like I'm giving them crack when I throw it in the tank, before it even starts to sink they're running around all over the place beating up hermit crabs in the process to make sure they get all the flakes to themselves, I'm confident that once I put Aiptasia in front of them & target feed it they will be inclined to rip that Aiptasia apart for their beloved flakes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 8)
Hah, I may just have to do that if you're successful. :)

Alright I have some good news & some bad news;
the good news is my pepps have demolished all the Aiptasia that I introduced to them in the QT tank
the bad news is the 2 bigger pepps have killed & eaten the 3rd & smaller one
next step is moving them to the DT and letting them take care of the rest of the Aiptasia I have.

Took 3-4 days of training (includes letting them go hungry without any flake feeding) before they developed a taste for the Aiptasia. I can not conclude that my method of "training" them to eat the Aiptasia is the reason why they ate it, I might have been lucky and they simply were the type that like Aiptasia, but they did not start eating it right away, it wasn't until the 4th day or so before they started going at it.

I hope this info will help someone else in the future. :)

HiFidelity said:
Alright I have some good news & some bad news;
the good news is my pepps have demolished all the Aiptasia that I introduced to them in the QT tank
the bad news is the 2 bigger pepps have killed & eaten the 3rd & smaller one
next step is moving them to the DT and letting them take care of the rest of the Aiptasia I have.

Took 3-4 days of training (includes letting them go hungry without any flake feeding) before they developed a taste for the Aiptasia. I can not conclude that my method of "training" them to eat the Aiptasia is the reason why they ate it, I might have been lucky and they simply were the type that like Aiptasia, but they did not start eating it right away, it wasn't until the 4th day or so before they started going at it.

I hope this info will help someone else in the future. :)

Will be interesting to see if they revert to "easy food" once they are in your DT since you'll be feeding your other fish too.

yeah I'm curious too, fortunately there is only one or two small Aiptasia left in the DT, most of them were on the rocks I put in QT w/ the shrimp.

I still have my one pep and it still hasn't eaten the Aiptasia and now I see more than one. =/

I'll have to try your method of training or something else that comes to mind. I really don't want to have to use Aiptasia-X.

patchin - I wanted to keep them in there since I'm going to be adding a lot of new things to the tank over the next few months and I'd like to have my aiptasia defense ready anytime I need them :)

denzil & patchin - I can tell you guys where I got my pepps and hopefully the guy still has some, as I mentioned in my previous comment it may not be that they took to my training, they could have possibly come from a breed that likes Aiptasia if so the new ones should do the trick for you.

PM me if you want to buy pepp's from the guy I bought them from, I picked them up in Sunnyvale from a store.

Back