Reef nutrition

AGA Megaflow or "classic" overflow box?

My empty, dry 180g has dual "megaflow" overflow boxes. You know, the giant double walled curved boxes. I was considering building regular overflow boxes (pretty simple really, 3 toothed pieces of acrylic) to save space. Now, it IS a 180 so I'm probably not going to hurt for space like I am now with my current Oceanic 58 (giant megaflow in the middle).

So ... is there really any advantage to the mega flow? I understand the theory of it taking water from the top, bottom and middle of the box. But is that really any better than just top skipping? In my tank it almost seems to be limiting the amount of surface skimming that is going on.

Any opinions? (Ha ha! A loaded question!)

Vince

Meh, I'm not a big fan. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have ripped one of the overflows out and sealed the holes (I have a 150g), two overflows is just overkill if you ask me, I'm only running 500gph of return. Also, you can get more out of them if you cut the teeth out and place some gutter guard in there instead of the all too closely spaced teeth.

I personally didn't enjoy my experience with the Oceanic version of this overflow. I had a huge problem with Valonia growing in between the panels and being impossible to clean out. It never got so bad it impeded the flow though, I just felt it was unsightly.

It IS dead silent by itself though, which is a plus if you need a quiet tank and don't want to deal with DIY projects.

Back