Our mission

Aiptasia are getting to me argh!

Depending on how bad the infestation is - you may need more that 3 peppermints.
I have 5 in my 50g and no aptaisia. I think the key is to remove as much as possible and then peppermints will keep it in check.
In my old tank I removed and dried half of my rocks and then added shrimps which helped.

I've had hit & miss with the peppermints. Sometimes a couple will wipe out all aptasia, other times I put 2 in and they never come out of their rock and aptasia flourish. I've put about 4-5 in my 180, I'd rather not put that many but feel that by getting 2-3 from 2 different sources at least 1 of them has eaten all aptasia and that has worked for my main tank.

Hmmm, maybe I need to get more peppermints then. I got 3 of them from AC in Hayward so I'll pay a lil more and get some more at AC in SF. Looking for a cheap way to blast em instead of buying aiptasia-x. Recommend trying boiling water?

Eh, the peppermint in my sps absolutely destroyed them, however there was only a few and I tossed in about 6 :D The downside is there is a mysterious thing that is destroying my acan lords, my bet is its these same peppermint.

I'm about to give up my battle, move my rose anemones over to a tank that's connected to my sps tank, chip off any aiptasia that are on that rock (there might be one or two) and be done with it.

I got three from Green Marine, they seem to do a good job in the 37G tank; problem is that most of the aiptasias are in the back chamber so I have to get all the rock out and toss one or two back there.

sfsuphysics said:
Eh, the peppermint in my sps absolutely destroyed them, however there was only a few and I tossed in about 6 :D The downside is there is a mysterious thing that is destroying my acan lords, my bet is its these same peppermint.

I'm about to give up my battle, move my rose anemones over to a tank that's connected to my sps tank, chip off any aiptasia that are on that rock (there might be one or two) and be done with it.

I would bet it is them too Mike. I have seen those little suckers messing with my acans before.

John,

I had a ton of aiptasia's and used Aiptasia-X for a week and now they are all gone. Didn't come back. The key for me was dripping a little drop on their mouth before pounding the sh!t outta them with the stuff. I found that way the best way to stop them from retracting before I could dump a bunch on there. Don't give up :)

rgonzalez said:
John,

I had a ton of aiptasia's and used Aiptasia-X for a week and now they are all gone. Didn't come back. The key for me was dripping a little drop on their mouth before pounding the sh!t outta them with the stuff. I found that way the best way to stop them from retracting before I could dump a bunch on there. Don't give up :)

I purchased 2 more peppermint's from a different LFS (Aquatic Central/SF) and these guys appear to be doing nothing. :( Aiptasia-x doesn't really do much. I can't keep up with it. If I blast em away they'll come back in the same spot within 2 weeks. Might have to go by Jim's and pickup some peppermints. My acan lords look ok so far *knock on wood*.

seminolecpa said:
sfsuphysics said:

I would bet it is them too Mike. I have seen those little suckers messing with my acans before.

Well the Coral banded I had in the RBTA tank went into the SPS tank, so hopefully it'll go hunting :D

Well I bought 3 ORA peppermint shrimp from Jim. One of them was JUMBO size and looks like she has eggs to lay. First night I saw her she was all over the corals on my frag rack but nothing damaged. I woke up this morning and saw a big chunk of tissue missing from my bright orange fungia. I'm thinking the my recent additions took a chunk from it. :(

I tried boiling RO/DI with turkey baster after the last Bar meeting talk. I dumped three times on it to be sure all the tissue cooked. The rock is bare white now after about two weeks. All signs of the aptasia are gone. No coral near was damaged.

Not treating with this method today and the temps expected to mid 90's in Berkeley.

I'm lucky. The 2nd and last copperband I bought took care of 100s of aiptasia in my tanks. Now w/o aiptasia its on diet eating on blood worm and brime shrimp.

Back