Neptune Aquatics

Air flow meter?

dochou

Supporting Member
Anyone use this for their skimmer. My euroreef skimmer is not working well and Jeff at reefdynamics told me I need to get an air flow meter to see if my skimmer pump is working correctly.
Anyone use one before? It is an expensive item and not sure if I really need it or not.
It costs $50 and it would only cost me $100 just to buy a new pump. I might end up spending the $50 and need a new pump anyways. Might be more economical to just buy a new pump.
Any one have a air flow meter that I can borrow?
Thanks so much.

You can measure the air flow with a big plastic trash bag and a box.
Measure the box, put bag in box, and fill with air.
Then connect bag to skimmer air input, and see how long it takes to go empty.
You have a known volume and a known time. Convert to GPH.

That said : Do you know how much air flow you should have??
I would not know what is right or wrong.

There could be 3 main issues if air flow is what you suspect.
1) Bad pump. Possible, but I would put that last on suspect list.
2) Partially clogged air line or venturi. VERY common. Soak in vinegar overnight.
3) Improper depth. Check manual.

Before buying, have you tried cleaning?

Try cleaning the air tube and where it connects to the pump - the volute and venturi. Calcium carbonate loves to pile up there.

Dang, that Mark dude types fast! :)

I did soak the pump and venturi and tubing in vinegar over night and it did not help. I'll take another look.
thanks for the advice. Please keep them coming.

If all else fails let me know. I have a 350 gph euroreef skimmer pump for you if you need it. you would need to get a new O ring. It runs dead silent.

Is it running still and making bubbles, but just not collecting junk in the cup? Often the impellers on the Sedra pumps get swollen and need replacing. Also, make sure the needle wheel is clear if debris. You can get replacement impeller for $50 at aquatic collection, new pump is like $80 iirc at marine depot

+1 on thorough cleaning of the pump, just as all previous posts. you don't need a airflow meter to tell you that your skimmer is working correctly, it sounds like that's obvious. My suggestion for thorough cleaning.
1. Remove skimmer pump from skimmer
2. Remove impeller and shaft from the pump
3. Soak just the impeller and shaft separately in a small bowl of 100% vinegar for about an hour. Do not put anything else in the bowl of vinegar, especially rubber parts, so just the impeller and shaft
4. At the same time, place the pump in a 5 gal bucket with about 20% warm vinegar solution for about an hour. Warm tap water is fine to mix with the distilled white vinegar
5. After an hour, clean the center of the impeller where the shaft inserts into by running a small pump brush or pipe cleaner through the center of the impeller
6. Pour the bowl of vinegar into the bucket, reassemble the pump and run the pump in the bucket for about an hour
7. After an hour, use a larger brush to clean inside the impeller chamber, volute & pump cover, and the pump’s outlet. Use the small pump brush or pipe cleaner and clean out the nipple where the air hose connects to the volute. Typically, this is where salt creep or calcium builds up and restricts airflow. Do as Erin suggested, use a drill bit and that does a great job scraping off the crud.
8. Rinse everything in warm water before reassembling, you’re done!

As Mike said, check the impeller to be sure it's not swollen. If you really think you need a new pump, invest in a new skimmer. It's only a little more and the technology has changed so much compared to the old Euroreef.

I still like the old euroreefs a lot, and for $80 for the new pump that's tough to beat, although there are a lot of new skimmers for not too much more that are pretty good as well. If you go that route I'm a sucker for cheap used euroreef skimmers...

Is it running still and making bubbles, but just not collecting junk in the cup? Often the impellers on the Sedra pumps get swollen and need replacing. Also, make sure the needle wheel is clear if debris. You can get replacement impeller for $50 at aquatic collection, new pump is like $80 iirc at marine depot

what's iirc?

Yes it has a brand new impeller.

the pump I have for you is a sedra 3500. dont think thats gonna work. I had some issues with our 5000 when we put a new return pump for awhile. the thing got a mind of its own for a week, it did what you are describing. then it magically started again...wierd.

Back