Neptune Aquatics

AJ's 150G Reef in Alhait

Alhait : Means "The Wall" Hence my last name...

We don't need no education... We don't need no thought control!

When I say 150G... Almost feels like that's how much it cost!

It's been my dream to have a tank in the wall since I started the hobby about 15 years ago or so... Back in 1993, I was living in an apartment and I went into a Fish Store... (The Fish Tank) in Milpitas been proven and buy 2nd generation! Don't buy the 1st model of anything! This was the 3rd gen I believe, but still too expensive, and you know what happened to Solaris! Shame!

Plumbing: This was my 1st try at an external pump... it took me a while to do this right, but I actually do not use the external pump now for reasons I will discuss later. But I was lucky enough to do this right.

DSC01746015.jpg

Advice #5: Have multiple backup systems of everything when starting... instead of 1 line up to the tank, I had 4! Since the lines/electric extension cords, PVC pipes and flexi Pipes were going in the wall I had 2 extra of each at least! I had a total of 2 PVC, 4 Electric extension cords and 2 Flexible 3/4" hose going to the top since I had to fit all in a 4x4 space!

Then Bio Balls! hmmm I know I know... That was the old school talking... Remember this is the 1st Version of the tank... 2 years ago! All has changed now, but I'm going through the evolution steps.

I bought a Bubble Master 160 (250 did not fit in the sump) Again plan ahead and measure your equipment before you plan the measurements of your sump! (refer to advice #3)

DSC01782050.jpg

Lights ON!
DSC01784052.jpg

IMG_3604197.jpg

(Combing a few steps) After moving the Rocks, Corals and Fish from the old tank to the new one, getting rid of the old tank (gave it to my tank buddy - new to the hobby)

This is Version 1.0 of the "Reef in Alhait"
IMG_3986.JPG

Notice the lighting was not enough... Solaris was nice! But not for a 30" deep tank + 8" hanging above!

For more pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/aalhait/FishTank?authkey=ijLVk-5G7cU#5251133070749669330

End of Chapter 1. - Lunch Break....

DSC01746015.jpg

Is there a reason why you need to use a check valve? You also forgot to put in a gate/ball valve for the intake. I guess you will empty that return area before removing the pump for cleaning??

great looking tank,
I also had, repeat "HAD" a 1st gen Solaris..lol
I called in to send it in for warrenty, and all of the voicemails were full, and i could not even get an operator on the line..

turns out, the day i called was the 3rd day after they had "Closed" the doors.

Luckily i had not sent it in for warrenty work, i might never have seen it again.
But now i have a $3,000 paperweight :(

Question: are these old pics your posting now to document, or are these recent setup pics?

Chapter 2:
Version 2.0 of the tank...
DSC00948.JPG

Things I did:

1. Disabled the External Pump and replaced with a submersible QuiteOne 6000 Pump. Much more quite and less of a headache... My external one was too loud, (vibrations) and I tried everything placed foam underneath etc...! Also Heat production... It kept the cabinet really hot. The QO6K disipated the heat in the water which was handled with the Chiller. Plus you cannot hear it!

2. Added an extra Skimmer - (Turbo Floater 1000) (Jason, this one's yours now) My BM160 is too hard to control and regulate! It's bubble creation is amazing! But too hard to control!

3. I added a QuiteOne 3000 pump connected to a UV Twist 36W Filter. Inline with a PhosBan reactor (Carbon and PhosBan which I stopped using now because PhosBan reduces pH control.

4. Removed Bio Balls. And replaced with gravel, Rocks, Mangrove and Caedo algae (refuge)

5. Added an Aqua Controller 3 Pro with pH, ORP, O2, Conductivity and Temp control.

6. Added another QuiteOne 3000 pump connected to my Chiller (Current Prime 1/4hp) in my Boiler Closet. Remember this room (My home office) was a garage)

DSC00952.JPG

DSC00955.JPG

Some Coral Pix:
DSC00968.JPG

DSC00969.JPG

DSC00971.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

DSC00984.JPG

ModernReefKeeper said:
great looking tank,
I also had, repeat "HAD" a 1st gen Solaris..lol
I called in to send it in for warrenty, and all of the voicemails were full, and i could not even get an operator on the line..

turns out, the day i called was the 3rd day after they had "Closed" the doors.

Luckily i had not sent it in for warrenty work, i might never have seen it again.
But now i have a $3,000 paperweight :(

Question: are these old pics your posting now to document, or are these recent setup pics?

No they are not recent... I started the tank almost 2 years ago now. I'm documenting the evolution...
Just posted Version 2.0

Chapter 3 is coming soon...

I had a plug for the inside made which fits in the bulk head. And for the top one so if I ever remove the water or just stop that line (which is currently stopped and unused) I can stop the water from coming back. Just in case that check valve fails.

I've replaced the pump a couple of times... And I will get into why it was a bad idea later. Now I have a submersible pump (QuiteOne 6000)

Also, if you noticed... There was no room for an extra Valve inline... It was a what you can say... "design-by-force"

"Use the force - dude"

Chapter 3:

I was a cold and stormy night....

DSC01030.JPG

DSC01029.JPG

Version 3.0 had the following changes:

1. Added a water changing 20G plexi tank in the Boiler Closet, Connected to an ATO auto-top-off system which is also controlled by my AC3P. I turn it on for 1 minute only at 11pm so if the sensor fails, I do not get a flood! 3 minutes is more than enough to fill up any evaporation if any.

2. Changed the 2nd Skimmer to a Red Sea C-Skim (I love it) it does not produce as much bubbles as the other really expensive kinds, (enough for a 75-100G I think) but the features are amazing! Self cleaning, Can keep running while you remove the top and clean it if needed, can control airflow and speed of the bubbles/motor, can even empty the top through a small 1/4" valve in the bottom of the canister! Too many features to list!!! I love it! I wish all Expensive Skimmers came with these features!

3. Gave up on the Cal and Alk reactors since I could not hook them up properly or get them setup... Instead I started dosing 2 part solution.

4. Added 2x 250 MH bulbs and 2T5 Actinics to enhance lighting

5. Bought a 24G AquaPod and made it a Frag Tank. Started collecting ACANs, Zoas and Chalice Frags.

DSC01773.JPG

DSC01780.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

aalhait said:
There was no room for an extra Valve inline... It was a what you can say... "design-by-force"

I could get a true union Asahi America ball-valve in there no problem :) But I'm a plumbing whore that has used just about every known make of ball-valve a tank could handle, and more :)

The old discontinued but still highly available Asahi America DuoBloc is perfect for that situation. I bought a companies remaining stock on Ebay a few years ago so I have boxes of Asahi ball-valves.

I know it doesn't matter now, but maybe it'll help another reader of this thread.

Hey AJ,

Same here, always wanted a wall unit, but still don't have the room. It's nice to be in a club where you can live vicariously through other members experiences.

Nice looking tank/s: I heard it said "...Sausage is wonderful, but you don't want to see how they make it." I can see the guts of this unit in Version 2 and Chapter 3 really shows how much chaos can be going on; yet so peaceful in the Frag Tank and Wall Unit. Amazing how it all comes together. If folks outside the hobby only realized how much time, effort, commitment, money and passion we put into our systems, they would truly be blown away.

Great job. I admire you passion and commitment.

Keep on reefing,
Joel
Reef Keeper

You can check out my Journal here if you ever get a break from all the stuff you're doing on your set up.
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8161

Joel... "Blown away" from ever considering it :(

The thing is, if you spend enough and plan enough, you can actually rest after! I remember my last 3 reefs, I've always been learning... Never had the budget or money... But always ended up neglecting it and having disasters after not enough water changes or something here or there!

I now have a camera and 2 controllers. I can monitor my tank from anywhere in the world! I traveled this summer for a whole month all over! It was nice when I could actually see my tank from under the Eiffel Tower! From Amsterdam! Houston, etc... Anywhere I went. there was always an internet connection... I spent a few minutes here and there (usually during the day since my tank turns on at night) and check the params, and corals for displacement. If corals fell... Immediate call to my tank buddy/sitter... Please fix this coral since it's upside down!

I had 0 loss this time! while last year I had a few hundred $$$ in loss because my rocks toppled!!

To be continued in Version 4.0 (after my Friday meetings)

AJ,
Glad to see the bioballs go :) What a lovely bunch of acans you have. Where is the frag rack residing? You've got a nice bunch of futures coming along too. Can't wait to watch it continue. Do your friends and family consider you a "mad plumber"? Mine do. >) Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've chosen a AquaPhoton Plus fixture for my newest project, a shallow, rimless 90 gal Elos. It has two single end 250w Mh and six T5 HO's in a nice, elegant fixture made in Germany. I'm stoked!

John

Ugh, I so want that IP camera. I'm going to Amsterdam and Munich next week and I'll be gone for two weeks at IBC and Oktoberfest. That camera would be some serious piece of mind. Too bad it's so much $$$!

Chapter 4:

Version 4.0

In this update, I've added the following:

1. I added multiple Drew's Dosers. for 2 Part and Phytoplex and Food.

IMG_5429.JPG

2. Since I already monitor everything with my AquaController 3 Pro, I installed Aqua Notes which logs all my data into a database so I can store it. I also got the iPhone AquaNotes app! This app is the best thing that happened to a reefer in history! Just as much as the iPhone will go down as the invention of the century. This app is the one for the reefing bobby!

AquaNotes.jpg

3. I purchased a PTZ network camera. (Initially I bough the D-Link DCS-5300 Around $300 I think. It was OK, but not that great! Zoom was not good... Picture was not clear! I do NOT recommend getting a wireless camera. This one was wired... But the lens was not the best. I ended up placing it next to the Frag Tank.

IMG_5428.JPG

4. I got me the very expensive Canon VB-C50iR and installed it in the ceiling. Now I can zoom in to a single Coral and View the entire room! Even check on my frag tank and zoom to a single frag! This camera is worth the investment! Simply put... Amazing!

IMG_5423.JPG

5. I also bought an iPhone app named Cam Viewer. Now I can view all my network cams from anywhere in the world! And man did I do that! I saved a lot of corals when I kept on checking in and viewing the tank. Noticed some corals which got toppled off and were upside down... Called my tank buddy for a rescue operation! Done! I could even monitor my buddy and give him instructions while I'm talking to him on the phone and watching everything!

Advice #6: Buy this Cam and iPhone app! It will save you from disasters! Every year I lose stuff when I go on vacation! Not this year though... I rescued everything that was needed a rescue! And responded very quickly to water param changes (due to both that and the AC3P controller) - Thank you Curt of Neptune Sys for inventing it!

Jumping Ahead Jason... Now I gave to work on Chapter 4...

John,

I'm not just the mad plumber, I'm the main family support line! Anything goes wrong with anything... It's always... Call AJ!
:~

It's nice to help... But sometimes you feel like smacking somebody because they just don't want to even try!

Working on it...

My next upgrade will be to completely automate the water changes... Similar to Eight's system...
LiterMeterIII with 2 additional pumps is coming up...

And if only I know how to hook up my Water Bug 200 to my AC3P! I cannot seem to get it working! Perhaps I have a broken unit!

I also need a skimmer Upgrade! My BM160 is not cutting it! I need to invest in a Bubble King 180!

Then on to my 100G new project (Frag Tank -> Grow out/Display/Work of art). Adapted from Eight's 170G style and lessons learned.

Back