Neptune Aquatics

Algae problem

Afternoon everyone,

I am pretty much at then end of my rope with things to try to beat this algae and was hoping someone could help with something else to try to beat this stuff. Its spreading like wild fire and so far i have had little luck slowing it down.

any ideas? I THINK its turf algae but I am by far not an algae expert LOL...

Afternoon everyone,

I am pretty much at then end of my rope with things to try to beat this algae and was hoping someone could help with something else to try to beat this stuff. Its spreading like wild fire and so far i have had little luck slowing it down.

any ideas? I THINK its turf algae but I am by far not an algae expert LOL...
Hi. What's your parameters, how old is the tank? What and how often you feed fishes? Lighting sched? Source of water? I'm not an expert neither but I'm glad to help.. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20170429_165538_zpsggvy29nf.jpg

0 n 0 is because the algae is using it all up.

Carbon doesn't remove nutrients.

GFO removes phosphates but must by changed out often.

Skimmer is only 30% efficient.

You need other ways to export nutrients.

Chaeto, ATS, biopellet reactor, vodka, vodka/sugar etc.

What kind of clean up crew have you tried and why are they failing (won't eat the algae, too much of it?) But of course +1 on the nutrient export suggestion, you'll need more of that no matter what snails eat the algae.

Try Vibrant. It's helped a lot of refers. It killed my bubble algae and some other kind. Will not hurt any corals or fish. Dosage is 1ml per 10 gals. Dose two times per week until you see the algae dying and then one time per week for 2-3 weeks or until it is completely gone. After that it can be used once every 2 weeks as a maintenance dose. Depending on your nutrients some people seem to get some cyno bacteria, but it usually goes away or it can easily be killed with Chemiclean. Good luck, I would not like to see you giving up because of algae. Everyone gets sooner or later

Dick Flanagan

0 n 0 is because the algae is using it all up.

Carbon doesn't remove nutrients.

GFO removes phosphates but must by changed out often.

Skimmer is only 30% efficient.

You need other ways to export nutrients.

Chaeto, ATS, biopellet reactor, vodka, vodka/sugar etc.

point taken.. i did not have a refrugium when i posted that but after reading your post, i made one.. now just need to get my hands on some chaeto... will pick up a light for it tomorrow and hook it up on the apex.

im on it..

in everyone's opinion is the refrugium the best way to go?

What kind of clean up crew have you tried and why are they failing (won't eat the algae, too much of it?) But of course +1 on the nutrient export suggestion, you'll need more of that no matter what snails eat the algae.

i have a bunch of snails of all types.. i just dont think they have the ability to handle the current situation!

Try Vibrant. It's helped a lot of refers. It killed my bubble algae and some other kind. Will not hurt any corals or fish. Dosage is 1ml per 10 gals. Dose two times per week until you see the algae dying and then one time per week for 2-3 weeks or until it is completely gone. After that it can be used once every 2 weeks as a maintenance dose. Depending on your nutrients some people seem to get some cyno bacteria, but it usually goes away or it can easily be killed with Chemiclean. Good luck, I would not like to see you giving up because of algae. Everyone gets sooner or later

Dick Flanagan

i had some but ran out awhile ago and just never reordered it. any places local carry it?

i don't see giving up as an option HAHHAHA way to much invested in this life to back up now.. plus the family enjoys the tank so its important for me to keep the water quility as healthy as possible..

Refugium is good. Reduce feeding. Do a few days of lights out. Use a powerhead to hit the rocks and subtrate to snowstorm your tank so the skimmer can pull out the nutrient contributing materials. Do massive water changes.

Chemicals can work, but they are really just an after the fact band-aid to nutrient control issues. Better to deal with the root cause.

Chaeto is good, if you give it good light if the correct spectrum and enough flow. Gfo is good. Bio pure marine blocks are good. WATER CHANGES ARE THE SHIT. manual removal is good. Tuxedo urchins are pretty awesome (if you have a glass tank). Tomini tangs and yellow eye cole tangs ain't bad (if you have a big enough tank), or algae blenny.
I agree you are seeing low results on the test cause algae is using it up. Just imagine that chaeto can do the same thing but even better than the algae, especially if things are eating it and you're pulling it out.
And don't disturb a sand bed too much if it's deep at all and hasn't been messed with at all for a long time. Maybe 25% at a time only.

Lots of good advice here. I also have done cheato if you need some. Live in Marin, work in the city- financial dist. I can pack some in a zip lock if you also get to the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed with the others; looks like hair algae. What's the systems parameters? (tell us more about the setup in general). What does your import/export looks like as well as your CUC?

Back