Algae Turf Scrubbers - myth or reality

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rygh, Dec 13, 2010.

1. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

The only SPS I see are the extremely hardy types. It appears to be totally void of any less hardy types, nice tank though (I miss my mixed reef)

2. Erick

Erick Guest

A few softies and gorgonians don't they thrive better in nutrient rich environments? Also what Gresh said. I am shooting for a tank similar to that myself minus the gorgs.

3. Thales

Thales Past President

Referring to people in this thread as "ATS-naysayer friends" is really obnoxious and seems to show that you haven't really listened to what we have been saying.

4. Joost_

Joost_ Guest

Not to beat a dead horse (although that's what this thread has been doing the last couple of pages) but your tank example doesn't prove much if anything.
    Take for example this tank:
    http://reefbuilders.com/2011/01/04/sreef-stunning-skimmerless-reef-tank-marko-haga/
    No skimmer, very low maintance, just some GFO and carbon is used, yet it is stunning, and shows some amazing growth. Point is, just because someone isn't running a skimmer doesn't mean you can point at the ATS for success. If Marko happened to run a ATS how would that prove anything? He achieves great success without a skimmer and without a ATS. In your example, just because he happens to run an ATS why would the ATS have the key to success? Beside as been noted earlier all corals in the tank are hardy corals.

5. Thales

Thales Past President

I think semantic games of definition are also obnoxious. If I call you an ass, am I calling you foolish or a hoofed animal? If I call you a pussy and I comparing you to a cat or calling you a wimp?

In common use naysayer, like the term pussy and ass, is a loaded term connoting ill will and, more importantly, its use falsely polarizes the discussion. That polarization kills useful discussion, halts the spread understanding and often makes people with experience not want to contribute.

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Then is jackass on the books? I freaking love that word!!!!

Seriously though, Rich's point is very valid. Rygh you simply love to rub members the wrong way with crap like that.

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Tell the teacher on him!!!

8. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

deleted

9. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

deleted

10. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

deleted

11. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

deleted

12. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I decided to delete my set of posts.
    What in my mind was innocuous post on another website devolved into name calling here.
    Best to cut it off.

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

What "happens" in your mind isn't always what "happens" in the rest of the worlds mind :) and when I say "your" I am not singling you out but rather I am saying this about everyone, myself included :)

I do find it odd you think that is kosher though.

14. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Well, all I can can say to make my intent clear is this:
    Naysayer is in the dictionary as skeptical.
    It was paired right next to "friends."

On the other hand - the resulting name calling - very clearly not kosher.

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

You could have ceded to the fact some one felt the word was loaded, acknowledged it and moved on. I can guarantee it would have stopped right there. Rich is about the most level person you will ever meet. If you see him reacting that way, trust me, something was said to him that was not right.

16. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Well, a little reading comprehension on your part and you might find that there was no name calling.

17. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Fair enough.
    I still don't really get it, but I am pretty out of it with my miserable cold.
    Even if too late, I do apologize.

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Ugh I just got over that cold and it rocked me. I totally understand the fog of sickness!!!

19. Thales

Thales Past President

Mark,

No big deal, and certainly no name calling intended on my part. When your fever breaks let me know and I'll try to explain.
    And, by all means, everyone can feel free to ignore me. Useful online communication is kind of an obsession with me lately, and BAR has usually been a refuge from the BS that plagues other forums. I certainly haven't always been able to practice what I have been preaching, but I like to think I and all of us can come to better understanding by trying. :D