Jestersix

All Depressed Now...

I have been having a cyano issue in my 58g for the past six months or so (it is a bare-bottom tank). As an overall, the tank has been getting a little less attention than it should since the 120g has been up and running.

So since I had a cyano and bryopsis aka hair algae issue in the 120g and the chemi-clean worked so well in it (well, the cyano and hair algae went away but now I have diatoms on the sand). Well...I decided that the 58g would be a breeze - that's where I went wrong.

I dosed the tank - the next day when I came home from work all the snails were belly up - that's not good. The flame angel and the male anthias went belly-up as well. Thankfully my pair of clowns were okay as were the pair of Bangaii or so I thought.

Crap....I did a seven gallon water change immediately and called it a night.

I come home tonight and my Bangaii pair are dead...AAuggghhhhhh.

I decided to say "screw it" and caught the remaining pair of clowns out of the tank and place them in my 120g's 50g sump.

So here I am now at a crossroad of what to do with this 58g. It also has valonia, hair algae, cyano, and aipstasia. I'm tempted to just tear the whole thing down and sell it, but the intention was always to use it as a frag tank or fish only tank.

To compound matters the baby hippo tangs went missing in my 120g from the weekend.

What a lousy crappy year it has been for me!

Okay - done venting now.

Sorry to hear, Eileen :(

Might have been too much cyano that got nuked by the chemiclean? Released organics could drive down the D.O. when they began decomposing? Maybe too much organics caused an ammonia spike?

How about cooking the rocks, and running the tank empty for now while you get it ready to be a frag growout tank?

Crap - I am just about to unleash some Chem-e clean on my 210 because of cyano and fallout still from the heatwave (not a fast nobby this one!) and I've used it before and thought it was awesome. One thing I dod differently from the instructions is to leave my skimmer running, but without the collection cup - that way I keep the O2 levels up whilst it's doing it's job. Sucks to here of your loss though.

Thanks guys!

I thought I had plenty of water movement (two extra powerheads - rio 50 and a mj 1200). I think you are right about the ammonia spike probably from the snail, and cyano death. I feel really bad from the Bangaii pair that I had - was really hoping to continue the captive bred breeding with these pair.

I've used it before on other tanks (large and small - tanks with a ton of fish and corals to tanks with minimal corals and clean-up crew) without incident .

I'll problably cook the rocks (I didn't have very many pieces in the tank). I guess I'll be cleaning out the tank irregardless this weekend.

Sorry Eileen about the loss. I just used chemi clean on my 120 twice in the last month....no problem. The first time I forgot to turn off the skimmer so not all of it died. The 2nd time a week later, worked better. I am hoping that is it. As for the
bryopsis I have a problem with it at work in my 20, I got a sea urchin that seems to be helping with it, but not enough. I hope those 2 little tangs turn up....they could be just hiding.

Did you ever make it to Atlantas? I thought you were going to Lowes, so I think I lost you and didn't have your number to call you. Its not that easy to find, I had to call them.

The only thing strange that happened to me last night, is that I found a fish I thought I lost 2 years ago....I yellow tail damsel.......My overflows are black so I never saw it, I cleaned out the overflow and what do I see.... A fat little fish. : )
I can't catch him, so I just left him there.

I'd agree, it was probably the ammo spike from the cyano die-off. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd probablyadvise folks to run extra aeration when using a product to kill off an algae bloom and have a 50% water change and a ton of fresh carbon at the ready. Sorry for the loss and I'll give you a discount on your next purchase so the tang loss is, at least financially, a little easier to bear.-Jim

Yeah, it is really weird.

I have used it a dozen times including two weeks before on the 120g and it worked the way how it should have.

I think Norm hit on something - it may very well have everything to do with dissolved oxygen as well as an ammonia spike. On my 120g (it has less water movement) I only have the return pump running, but because I had not finished the canopy the lights were actually suspended above the tank so in essence no canopy. The 120g stand also is not skinned yet either (it's fully open on all three sides). The 58g is pretty buttoned up.

Wow that sucks the big one. Sorry to hear that Eileen, I don't know that I would sell off the tank, especially if you're going to use it as either a grow out or FO tank. I might break the tank down, do a little rock cleaning (i've heard a 50/50 mix of RO water & vinegar is great for breaking down phosphates, or if you're feeling spunky use muratic acid.)

No need to give up a perfectly good tank just because of a little die of fissue :) Although I know it does get frustrating, especially after your last bout with flatworms

Nope the tangs have not showed up.

I actually spent all day yesterday breaking the tank down. Like Norm suggested to let the tank set fallow in fresh water. I guess the valonia, turf algae, hair algae, and aipstasia can go take a hike.

Sorry to hear your lost. It really is a crappy year. :x My 90g still seating empty in my living room after a kalkwasser dissaster I had last june. However, last month I started a 29g which I'll be using as a soft coral tank only. This will have me stack my aquarium slowly.

Well, I spent all Sunday cleaning out the tank and sump.

Cleaning up sand and debris from a quasi-refugium is not fun even if you use a powerhead to suck it up.

The weather has decided to get cooler so of course ro/di water is coming extra slow.

Back