got ethical husbandry?

All Natural Aquarium

First off a bit about myself; I've been in the reefing hobby for about 8 years now. I have had several reef tanks large and small. I've done freshwater, salt water, brackish water, turtle tanks, snake tanks, live planted tanks, I've supplied several local restaurants in the Detroit area with various corals and fish for their own beautiful aquariums. I've recently moved from Detroit, MI (still an active member of michiganreefers.com) and now I'm looking to venture back into the hobby in my new home of Oakland, CA.

The latest challenge I have for myself is to setup a completely natural tank (fresh water) free of all electronic equipment. There are plenty of forums out there on how this can be done and I am quite excited about the task. What I'm wondering is if any of you have done a similar tank, and if so are there any native species of plants or fish that I should be aware of that will thrive in the natural daylight provided in the Bay area.

Secondly, in order to begin my task i will need to acquire a decent size shallow tank; I'm thinking 4' x 1'-6" x 8". As a part of the michiganreefers forum it was quite common to find tanks and other various items for sale quite easily. Most of my tanks were built straight from MR, and in return i of course did my part at furthering the hobby by offering free coral frags and any thriving babies/eggs that I could provide. I'm noticing on this forum that the for sale/trade forum seems empty. Is this because I am still new to this forum or do you guys simply not use that section of the forum?

If anyone has any idea where I could find a tank of a similar size I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Brock

Hey Brock...

Don't know if this will help but there is a small "pond" called Lake Herman between Vallejo and Benicia that has a few different aquatic plants and some minnow like fish that thrive there with some really big temp swings in the shallows. If no one here chimes in check with Fish&Game as California can be really strict (big fines/jail) on collection activity. Before the budget crisis there was a permanent warden at the lake...not sure now. Not the most exciting place to relax but there are picnic facilities and BBQs there as well if you make the trip.

Oh and WELCOME!

-Gregory

Back