Jestersix

Aluminum leaching in MarinePure Blocks confirmed by Ryan at BRS

So the question isn't necessarily if aluminum is present, but if it is actually toxic, and if so, how much is a toxic level. It seems like everyone who claims to have had issue with it has had it effect primarily soft corals.

I got desperate and bought 5 of them. One in my DT in the back, two in the sump. Then two in my QT tank which otherwise has no rocks.

The only reason I bought so many is because I bought two at BRS on sale, then I actually found them for $30 at Big Als. And, like I said, I'm desperate for lower nitrates.

V
Whoa, these are the big bricks? How long have they been wet? It can take a few months, but I bet your nitrate levels drop significantly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa, these are the big bricks? How long have they been wet? It can take a few months, but I bet your nitrate levels drop significantly...

I was thinking the same thing when I heard several people that had bought 4 or 5 of them. I have one in my 125 gallon and can seem to find any no3.

Mines been in my tank for 1.5 years and it's been good. No coral deaths that I can tell related to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only the big blocks. They have very little water movement in the center which promotes anaerobic bacteria that help with nitrates

Yup, looking at the time on that, it was me after a long day of summer school classes (I mean crap almost like a real job being at work from 2 to 8pm! ) and I was tired... I meant No3 = Nitrate, and the blocks only did nitrite and ammonia.

I read about the possibility, but it doesn't worry me. I mean, I don't know the effect on animals from aluminum, but it is at least not an alarm bell like leaching copper or something.
Plus I think nitrates are worse for some reason. And I have no idea if it is working to fight nitrates or not.

V

Will recheck next week. I've added biopellet reactor, which I regret supremely due to the damned pellets clogging up everything and that stupid incident involving the filter sock which flooded my dining room. The wood floors are F'ed.

I will likely remove the reactor once the stupid pellets are done.

I know what you mean about hardwood floors. We refinished ours about 2-3y ago and I've had a couple of floods....so, the boards are cupped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back