High Tide Aquatics

Alve's tank today, thanks to BAR!

Thanks everyone!

If everything keeps growing like it is now I should have plenty of DBTC frags by the time I can finally make it again to a meeting (which will be October).

When I did research about the Olympus camera I did read from several people that eventually they leaked and the camera got ruined. I always make sure that I double check that the battery compartment is sealed correctly and hope for the best :)

For a long time I have been thinking about setting up something for automatic water changes. During my busy summer season I always started slacking. My last two water changes had been 3 weeks since the previous one instead of every two weeks so today I got to work and finally set up my Litermeter III pump with water change module that I had laying in my garage for over a month.

Since I have no more space in my stand one more thing to put next to it:
waterchange1.jpg

At this moment I have my chiller, auto top off, Bulk Reef Supply GFO and Carbon reactor and Litermeter III pump with water change module sitting next to my tank. As you can see I made a frame around the chiller and auto top off bucket and a project for next winter is to enclose it and finish it the same way as my stand.

I have a window behind the tank so I have 3 lines going through there. Since we live in a rental house I can not start drilling the floor or walls :)
Two lines are for automatic water changes, the third one is from my RO/DI unit in the garage to a float in my top off bucket that keeps it full all the time. The 44g Brute trash can holds NSW for the automatic water changes:
waterchange2.jpg

To make sure that the 1/4 tubing stays on the bottom and not starts floating up I put it into a piece of PVC pipe and elbow I still had laying around:
waterchange3.jpg

Does anybody think I should have a powerhead or pump in there? I mix NSW in another Brute can and once it has the correct salinity I pump it over in this one.

Thanks Adolfo425!

Here are some more pictures I took last week:

Jeremy, you know this one for sure :) Will be in DBTC for delivery when I finally get to go to a meeting again (October):
Greenmilli.jpg

ORA Purple Plasma, not very purple to me :)
ORAPurplePlasmasmall.jpg

Rainbow Monti:
RainbowMontismall.jpg

Green Slimer:
greenslimersmall.jpg

ATL Bonsay finally coloring up after being brown for about 6 months:
ATLBonsai.jpg

greenplate.jpg

BAR Prop Chalice:
chalicebrightsmall.jpg

That's cool Aldie, I did the same thing for my 2-part with the PVC pipe (minus the really long length of PVC that is :)), also keeps the intake hose off the very bottom so if there's anything that settled it won't make it into the tubing and potentially clog the whole damn thing up.

Thanks for the advice Mike! I didn't think about keeping the tubing off the bottom to avoid clogging if anything settles, only thought about keeping the tubing from floating to the top. I pulled it out of the PVC pipe a little more so it is pointing up a bit now :).

Time for a last update. As of yesterday, Saturday 08/01, the tank has been shut down. The corals and fish were removed over the last two weeks and today the tank and stand got picked up.

I didn't stop because I am tired of the hobby but because of other reasons. Therefore it was with a lot of pain in my heart that I gave up my tank.

I am hoping one day to start over again and in the meantime I will still be around on the forum and go to the meetings in my off season so you will still see me around.

I hope it is not a requirement to have a tank to be able to be a BAR member :)

alve said:
I hope it is not a requirement to have a tank to be able to be a BAR member :)

You have a tank, it's at my house, dry, and looking for a home and when that time comes you'll have a nice tank.

Aldie, we're looking forward to your next tank thread and you're always welcome here :) you're an example of responsibility and passion for the hobby that has a tremendous impact on our club.

Back