Amperage of equipment

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mediumrare, Oct 14, 2013.

1. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

First for me too. I don't begrudge the trades their $$. It's an expensive place to live. But when someone offers to charge you less, after a short pause to make sure I heard it correctly, I say YES!

2. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Costs ... well I bought the stuff (Circuit breakers are less than $10, and I had some 20 amp wiring, plus two sets of GFCI outlets were about $10 each). I got a handyman to wire it (I know, I know) and It was about $150-$200. I overpaid him, so he owes me some work, but he spoke only Chinese and we were in a rush to go somewhere, but he's honest and said I paid too much. A REAL electrician, probably around $200 or so, so I didn't save that much and it was more of a favor than anything to give the guy work.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

A real electrician might have put the outlet where you originally wanted too ;)

And yeah real electricians do jobs all the time without pulling permits, I'm not sure how other counties are compared to SF... but UGH is all I can say. Revenue stream for the city... bleh

4. mediumrare

mediumrare Guest

Plugged in the Kill-a-watt meter and here are the results:

everything on but heater: ~2 amps
    Early morning, lights off, heater on: 2.3 amps

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Translation: You don't need to worry about the power draw from your outlet ;)

You do however need to worry if everything is plugged into a single GFCI if something trips it, you lose power for everything.

6. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Now we're talking! That seems much more reasonable. Is the early morning reading with all the other stuff + heater - lights?

With everything on seems like you will be well below the ~12A limit for a 15A circuit. Time for a bigger tank!! :)

7. mediumrare

mediumrare Guest

I just expanded my tank by adding a ~10 gallon satellite tank!