Cali Kid Corals

An expanded dipping regimen your input helps!!!

btw great post I don't want spstd's (or lpstd's either) :Sp
Would have responded earlier but got in trouble reading this while on vacation had to wait until getting back to work to chime in...
thx,
dave

Anyone ever try Coral RX? I see it all over the place in my travels but I have yet to get any real feed back on it.

Couple more questions...

Should you use FWE and that inteceptor stuff also when dipping? Should that only be done for SPS?

Is Revive good enough dip for LPS?

John, I use revive to dip all my corals. It kills flatworms but it wont kill the eggs so you would have to dip again in a few days if thats the case. Interceptor is used to treat red bugs which I think can be treated in your display but i could be wrong. I've never used FWE so I couldn't tell you about it. Although I've read some bad things about it if used improperly.

GreshamH said:
Anyone ever try Coral RX? I see it all over the place in my travels but I have yet to get any real feed back on it.

I haven't really seen it too many places and the price point along with the effectiveness of Revive hasn't spurned me to take the plunge, unlike TMPCC, Montis hate that stuff.

melly mel said:
John, I use revive to dip all my corals. It kills flatworms but it wont kill the eggs so you would have to dip again in a few days if thats the case. Interceptor is used to treat red bugs which I think can be treated in your display but i could be wrong. I've never used FWE so I couldn't tell you about it. Although I've read some bad things about it if used improperly.

Thanks Mel for the info! Another question... You guys using an airstone or powerhead when dipping?

FWE only kills the harmless eyesores that are planaria. The red/brown planaria are often called flatworms, however they are not anything like AEFWs. The AEFWs are what were are mainly concerned about when we dip our SPS.

Any specific reason(s) why the club goes with Povidone vs Lugol's? I have Lugol's but haven't needed it too often so far and I would really like to avoid introducing any plagues into my tank after the swap this weekend. :)

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2531#comment-33853

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2531?page=1#comment-33858

Povidone iodine is a slow release iodine that is less stressful to corals compared to Lugol's and tinctures. Iodine requires extended contact time to work, so the slow release method is better.

Povidone acts as a surfactant and wetting agent in addition to carrying iodine. Also, Povidone increases the penetration of the iodine through cell walls.

GreshamH said:

There is a article on aa showing coral fx as the most effective. Revive was not out yet to test I was using it until I dropped the bottle and busted it. Switched to revive because that is what the lfs had. Looks and smells the same. Half the price.

That article will reinforce needing qt. They were only getting 70 percent death rates in some long coral dips.

Qwiv said:
GreshamH said:

There is a article on aa showing coral fx as the most effective. Revive was not out yet to test I was using it until I dropped the bottle and busted it. Switched to revive because that is what the lfs had. Looks and smells the same. Half the price.

That article will reinforce needing qt. They were only getting 70 percent death rates in some long coral dips.

Few more days and you'd be bumping a year old post :) Used both now. I keep OneShots around at all times now.

Link to the article?

This one?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/4/aafeature2/view?searchterm=coralRX

Feature Article: Evaluation of Chemical Eradication Methods of Acoels (Acoelomorpha) From Marine Aquaria
[imghttp://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/4/aafeature2_album/draft_7_final_5.jpg/variant/medium[/img]

Its only about acoel flatworms for the most part. FW Exit doesn't work for most parasites we're worried about. Acoels as I continually say are only a pest if your tank is out of wack. With TLC you can ride them with no chemicals needed.

FWE is not effective for red bugs, AEFW, MEN, ZEN, spiders, etc etc.

In other words its only about dipping for certain flatworms.

Back