got ethical husbandry?

An inline QT?

This is an idea I've been toying around with for a while, but never have had the chance to test it out fully, still don't in fact, but need to refresh the ol' brain and get some fresh perspectives.

The "problem" with a QT tank, is that basically you need to have a whole other tank setup, heat, water flow, a tad of lighting, etc. Now for some of us with larger tanks, it's a bit more problematic because we're used to the larger tanks as far as water conditions are and having a smaller tank where a gallon evaporated changes the salinity drastically more so than off a larger tank, so it's really just a lot more looking after you need to do... oh yeah, and having that extra equipment as well.

So I had an idea for an inline quarantine tank. I know you're probably thinking how is it a quarantine tank then if it shares the same water, which is partially true. However the purpose is to keep pests away from your main tank. So if you can find a way to make sure pests can't get into your main water supply, it seems like it'd be an ok thing to do.

Initially I thought about having UV sterilizer as a way to pull water back to the main system, however there are issues with that being as it's not really a full proof method (but what is really?), but more importantly if you're going to complain about additional equipment, then why are you putting a UV sterilizer into the equation? So I kicked myself in the butt for even considering that as an option, although it might be nice as an in-tank method to try and keep any potential pathogens at bay.

Then I thought some sort of filtering system, a mesh of some sort that is smaller than the size of any pest, and bingo-bango pests stay out of the main system. So my plan was to use coffee filters, they're quite densely packed, just about all pests are larger than the size of the filter holes, and best of all they're cheap! Basically hook it up like a filter sock to catch anything that may go into the tank. Only issues I can see with this are 1) splashing of something out into the tank, but if the water movement is rather slow this shouldn't be an issue 2) Physical movement, I'm unsure about how pests move and could they possibly just climb up the side and over into the tank, this might be like climbing Mt Everest and could be handled by having some more enclosure about what ever you use to hold the coffee filter in place to make sure they don't fall into the tank if they did manage to get to the rim. Finally there's potential breakage of the paper filter, this could be handled with one of those plastic coffee filters people keep mentioning to hold the paper filter in place.

So any thoughts? Feedback? Is the man crazy?

My 10g QT is the easiest tank in the house. Red Sea Prism, small heater, 70W halide, lots of live rock, jug of water. After Monti Nudis, and Redbugs it's not worth the risk IMO.

This is an interesting idea. I think if you had a couple of different filtration methods, you might be able to get away with this. Come to think of it, mechanical filtration might be enough to keep the bugs out.

You wouldn't have a lot of flow going thru the sump, but it'd be enough to heat the entire system and you could continue using the skimmer and any other equipment that you have in the sump.

I really like this idea. I even have the parts to hook it up: an eheim canister filter for mechanical and chemical filtration, a 18w UV for bacteria and an extra overflow box for my sump. I can't think of any pests that would make it all the way through that kind of filter.

I also agree an extra tank is a pain in the a$$. My problem is space in my small townhouse. My wife hates when I setup a new tank after a swap or when I get a new fish and have a tank running in the kitchen for three weeks.

But, the real question is "Will I take the gamble?" The answer is "no". I'd rather deal with a little grief for a few weeks than deal with watching my tank die off because I took the "easy" route. Much like my thoughts on treated tap water, I could get away with it and it would be easier but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Sounds to me like the paper filter will allow so little flow that it would just be easier to set up a stand alone tank. :D
Plus for the cost of the UV for the inline idea, you can afford a stand alone. :D

I put some more thought into this and I think this would make a great new product if someone would invent it. Imagine a little 5G tank you clipped on the side of your fuge that had it's own light, filter and UV. You just pull it out when you need it and store it when you are done. You could even make it removable so it could sit off to the side of a tank without a sump. I honestly think there is a market for something like this. No one likes having to QT things, but if you made it plug-and-play I think it would sell. I'm going to look into it and see what it would take to make this a reality. I mean, if they can make portable "straws" that make any water drinkable, why couldn't we do this?

i agree with rich, maybe the flow will be too slow, and having a pump push that hard may take more watts.

but that aside, interested in my QuietOne 4000 HH? hehe

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2358.msg28143#msg28143 date=1197263222]
:D

The other thing missing is the ability to medicate in an inline qt.

[/quote]

oh yeah, good point. if you dissolve interceptor or some copper, I don't think there would be a filter good enough for that.

Back