Cali Kid Corals

Anemone Problem

Carpet anemone issues are that it just swallows fish if they land on them - so picking appropriate fish is something you need to consider.

Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Yeah, losing fish was my concern - that probably rules out a carpet.

Oy! If only I weren't so attached to this clownfish!

I really like my biocube 14:) The only thing I don't like on the BC 29 is that the top has no hinge. There is a little hinged opening for feeding etc, but for large area access, you need to take it off (lift and set aside). The one thing I disliked about my BC14 is the ballasts on the PC bulbs were crap, but oceanic promptly sent me new ones and they paid shipping. This might just apply to the smaller ballasts on teh BC 14/8

Something nice about the oceanic is you can buy them with an HQI stock so your anemone would like you.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=3145.msg34471#msg34471 date=1203551087]
Carpet anemone issues are that it just swallows fish if they land on them - so picking appropriate fish is something you need to consider.
[/quote]

To expand on carpet anemone issues:

The size we get in aquaria tend to be over a hundred years old from what scientist can tell (they don't have an aging mechinism like most live things have). They are one of the hardest hit MO species due to collection. MO collection is the most pressure on the poor animals, with bleaching being #2. IMO they should ALL be left in the ocean.

Just telling it like it is.

PNG has banned ALL future collections of carpets as well as a few others that don't do so hot in aquaria. BTA's are very suitable to aquaria, stick with them :D

Yeah, I wasn't seriously considering getting a carpet - didn't know about the collection issues so much as I know they're not easy to keep. Plus, I don't think I'd want to swap out one anemone for another and risk just having other problems.

I'll probably just have to bug the hubby enough to let me set up another tank for it. Yesterday I was scoping out this 4-foot empty space we have along the living room wall. ;D

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=3145.msg34497#msg34497 date=1203559295]Yesterday I was scoping out this 4-foot empty space we have along the living room wall. ;D
[/quote]

Go for it! :D

Hahaha! I told him that a 120g FOWLR would look great in that spot.

He said, "NO." And then this morning I e-mailed him a craigslist ad for one, and he replied, "NO."

This afternoon he said he might consider a nanocube.

Aim high and bargain down! ;)

I managed to woo the girl into a biocube too showing how unobtrusive it looks, and how it can fit in a little spot.. she was all over it like stink on sh... well you get the point, not to mention she wants to build a stand, etc... man I never had it so good!

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=3145.msg34509#msg34509 date=1203564514]
Hahaha! I told him that a 120g FOWLR would look great in that spot.
[/quote]

If my wife asks me that, I would tell her a 210G would look much better. ;D

I already have permission for whatever size tank I want...with the stipulation that I have a realistic place to put it and money to pay for it. So far those two parts aren't working out for me.

I did that when I went house and apartment hunting...but rather, I looked for a theater room LOL. Window placement, wall openings, room geometry. I have issues :p

Back