Our mission

anemone question

I noticed that my green tipped anemone has moved this morning and is sitting with it's mouth wide open. It does not look as healthy as it did earlier in the week. I've tried feeding it and it did take some mysis shrimp but not as agressively has it has in the past. I'm not sure if it sitting with it's mouth open is a bad thing or not and want to ask you folks for your input. My maroon clown pair love this anemone. If you want any pictures I would be more than happy to shoot them off to you.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Mike

Ok no feeding it... my parameters are 1.024 salinity...my nitrates have been at 0 for a while. I do not have a test kit for nitrates yet but I've been taking my water down to Nepture Aquatics in SJ and it's been testing out very good. I am religous about doing a weekly water change about 10%. I did a water change last Saturday and Tuesday of this week. I also have a bag of GFO in my filter. I am running a JBJ 12 gallon nano tank. Everything else in the tank seems to be doing well.

Salinity = 1.024 to 1.025 ... today I'm using a cheap Seatest Specific gravity meter.. my pinpoint Salinity monitor died yestertday :( due to a spill.
Any suggestion for a good backup salinity tester? What do you use for testing salinity?

Ammonina = 0 using TetraTest test kit

KH = 10.4 using the Salifert KH/Alkalinity Profi test kit

CA = 450 using the Salifert Ca Profi Test

Usually a open mouth means an anemone is not so healthy. Where is it now near the lights or far away? Also is it near or far from the jets? Hope your anemone does well. :)

When I first introduced it in the tank it took up a spot on the back wall of my tank near the overflow. It's now moved directly under the overflow about 4" from where it was. It's position is about 5 inches from the surface and not real close to the lights. In the JBJ 12 Nano cube the lights are more towards the front of the tank. As for the jets it's on the opposite side of where the water is returned to the tank.

tuberider said:
OK if everything seems cool, then it may be looking for a new home within your tank, keep us posted :)
Sorry to disagree but the lighting in any 12 gallon stock JBJ nanocube is inadequate for nems with the exception of aiptasia. I would say that more nems are killed in these small systems than anywhere else and it's a combination of low lighting, low volume of water (unstable params/ temp), dangerous scenarios (nem stuck to O/F, nem stuck in PH) and the fact that a 21" tank is no place to put an animal that can get almost as big as the tank is, and is known for wandering. It disturbs me that JBJ puts nems on the box picture as if that's an appropriate choice for their systems. I believe the 24 gallon even has a carpet pictured. So I'm not saying it can't be done but it is quite far from optimal. I'd rehome the nem before there's real trouble.

You don't have to be sorry Jim, Ultimate Aquarium has BTAs growing and splitting in a little biocube on their counter, they've had them there for years....

Cool, and it's definitely possible. I still think stock JBJ 12 gallon lighting is not a good choice for nem lighting but like a lot of animal husbandry and breeding, you may only need to have 4 out of 7 (or whatever) parameters optimized to succeed.

Agreed 100%, the 8th parameter is critical, getting an animal that has been acclimated to those conditions prior to adding them to the tank, that is often overlooked :)

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted about my nem and I thought I'd update you as requsted. The nem has reloacted and seems to be doing fine, it's open and has good color. The clowns are sleeping in it as I write this.

Thank you all for of the responses and suggestions!

Mike

Update on my anemone: It's been about a month now since I first posted my question and the anemone seems to be doing fine in it's new location. The new location is only about 7 inches from where it originally put itself. It is now directly below the return flow to the filter area. I have done a lot small water changes, a little less than 10%, about every 3 days. That equals out to 1 gallon every 3 days in my 12 gallon cube.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Mike

Back