got ethical husbandry?

Another plumbing question

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I just picked up a used sump for my next tank. It's an older model trigger. 23" long and just two chambers. I have two questions:

First, it has a 2" hole cut in it that was for an in-line pump. My first thought was I could simply silicon a piece of acrylic over that to plug it, but come to find out acrylic on acrylic action with silicon doesn't lead to much sticky stuff. Is there a reef safe product that will make this possible without worrying about it? The other option is of course to use a 2" bulkhead and I have heard they make 2" plugs for a bulkhead, but I cant fine such a think on Marine Depot or BRS. Can someone point me to the appropriate item somewhere?

Second, since it's just a two chamber I think I'd like to baffle in a third chamber for a refugium. Is the easiest way to do this simply to purchase something like the CPR In-tank refugium and pump, or should I actually glue a baffle onto the sides?
IMG_4376.JPG

And this is kind of scary....

"THIS PRODUCT IS FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY AND NOT FOR CONSUMER USE AT HOMES OR SCHOOLS OR IN RECREATION.

Not for sale in California South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), due to rule 1168."

Weldon is a solvent, fast acting. Just cut a piece of acrylic, use a few pins or needles to keep a small gap between the sump and the spare piece of acrylic; using an applicator, squeeze some solvent between the gap, you will see it spreading, give it just a few seconds so the solvent starts to do its work, 20-30 seconds; remove the pins and let it bond/cure. You can use some sort of weight to keep pressure on the patch but don't, for any reason, try to re-arrange the patch; can turn into a very ugly job.
A bulkhead would be nice and simple, BRS should have plenty of them, ABS can do the job instead of HD Sch. 80. A plug from HD/Lowe's will take care of the rest and depends if you choose slip or thread, some glue/solvent or Teflon tape/paste would be needed. I would use the bulkhead just in case the future of the sump means an upgrade for you and someone else who wants to run an external pump.

AFA the added partition, how about an extra small tank inside?

OK -- so I need an ABS 2" bulkhead threaded from BRS and then I need to go to HD and get a 2" threaded plug and teflon tape? Correct?

Ok -- so everyone give me your best advice. Should I create a new baffle for the refugium or simply drop in a CPR in-tank refugium into the sump?

Ok -- so everyone give me your best advice. Should I create a new baffle for the refugium or simply drop in a CPR in-tank refugium into the sump?

To add a baffle, Weldon 16 might be a better product, just beware the seam might not be perfect. If you go this way, try using some painters tape exactly where the baffle wil be; you can use a Sharpie on the outside to draw the square lines then use alcohol to remove the marked lines.

I would measure how much room you will need for the skimmer, then see how much room is left. If it's only a few inches, might not be worth the time n effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When getting the threaded bulkhead, note if you would like to have the plug/cap on the inside or outside of the sump. Will take up a little space to account for, but looks like there should be enough space for your internal pump to sit in there anyway. If you have the cap on the outside, account for space in tank stand if putting there or anywhere you going to put it.

Back