Cali Kid Corals

Any comparisons of macro lenses?

So I spent weekend on pbase.com and went thru thousands pics of Tamron and Sigma.
I liked Tamron more. Tamron pics have something in it that special and different from Sigma (and Nikon).
Anyway I liked it more so I ordered one at $360 (after rebate).

Next thing I need is SB600 flash I think (and maybe better tripod)

I have the older Canon XTI. I know it isn't the Nikon from the OP, but the same holds true. If I was to use the mentioned Tamron or Sigma vs Canon's 100mm Macro, what do I loose in terms of functionality? (lets for a moment ignore the slight variation in the optical elements).

I think all, if not most 3rd party lens are made to give you all the functions of a nikon or canon lens etc.

some might have a slower AF, but all the features should work.

Nothing really. Metering and AF will work. You just won't get the Canon colors. The Canon 100mm macro isn't a "L" lens but by all means, it performs like one (speed, contrast, sharpness, etc.).

Functionally, there is also a difference. The front element doesn't protrude during focusing, unlike the 3rd party lenses.

Good to know. They aren't THAT expensive. My sister-inlaw works for canon. I'll have her keep an eye out for when they have internal deals on them lol.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3187.msg36189#msg36189 date=1204659821]
My sister-inlaw works for canon. I'll have her keep an eye out for when they have internal deals on them lol.
[/quote]

Hook it up! :p

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=3187.msg36199#msg36199 date=1204662803]
i need to convince my relatives to work for Nikon =(
[/quote]

Yah, and offer discounts to BAR members :D

UPS cam today ;-)

Quickly snapped a bunch of pics.
Uploaded to flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/zepplock/ (first 5 pics)
Nothing fancy, used build-in flash (dark inside).

Will do a field trip this Saturday ;-)

Hey guys,

can we put together our own comparison now? I have a Sigma 105, I know Eric has a 105 Nikkor, you have the Tamron 90, we could mount them all to one camera on a tripod and take the same picture with each. We could do a few different settings and see what we find?

I doubt there's a lot of difference, but I'd love to see it. And since we've been trying out our copies, they seem to be pretty good ones.

Set it up, Art.

I can bring the Nikon 105mm VR, the Nikon AIS 55mm f/3.5, and an older manual focus Tamron 90mm f/2.8 with adaptall mount.

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=3187.msg37293#msg37293 date=1205277713]
Yeah, next meeting?

We also may establish a "pool" of lenses. I could give u mine and you could give yours to try out.
[/quote]

Well, a "pool" wouldn't be that useful, if you're interested just ask and I'm sure if we're not using it the other can borrow.

There are a few items in my bag, though, that I can't be without since I use them often, one is the macro. But other stuff I'm happy to lend.

by the way, it's great that a bunch of us on BAR are using Nikons ;)

anyone wanna get the 24mm PC-E for all of us to play with ;) hehe

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3187.msg37298#msg37298 date=1205278264]
Sorry, no sisterinlaw that works at Nikon ;)
[/quote]

lol! doh!

Back