Our mission

Any local stand and canopy builder around here?

Excellent skill there my friend. So clean.

Even the mouldings and grooves were all made from scratch? I found that those pieces from HD/Lowes are the most expensive part of the build.

yellojello said:
Excellent skill there my friend. So clean.

Even the mouldings and grooves were all made from scratch? I found that those pieces from HD/Lowes are the most expensive part of the build.

All moulding was made from scratch other than the crown. You need a special machine for crown moulding and it's better left to the mills to do that type of work. However, the moulding was not purchased at HD or Lowes. Besides, I don't believe HD or Lowes carries crown moulding that would work well for a canopy/stand. All of the HD/Lowes crown is suited for home use, so the profiles would most likely be too large for this type of application. Oh, the trim pieces that fit inside the side paneling detailing were also purchased from the same place as the crown moulding. These trim pieces could have been made, but it's easier to just buy them, especially considering they don't cost that much.

The tools/skills are certainly a nice thing to have in the family. I'll pass the kind compliments onto my brother. Thanks!

xcaret said:
That is AMAZING craftsmanship

...must ask, what color stain is that? that might just be what I need.

Stain is Espresso, but as I found out during this build, there's definitely an art to properly staining wood.

Where do you get Espresso? I've been looking everywhere for it (not everywhere of course) but locally I'm lost; I have Ebony and I just picked up a new "Black" Polyshades by Minwax.
I'm comfortable applying stain but I don't want to start if the right color is available somewhere close.

Again thanks !

xcaret said:
Where do you get Espresso? I've been looking everywhere for it (not everywhere of course) but locally I'm lost; I have Ebony and I just picked up a new "Black" Polyshades by Minwax.
I'm comfortable applying stain but I don't want to start if the right color is available somewhere close.

Again thanks !

Don't get the stuff from HD, like Minwax. Go to a real woodworking shop like Woodcraft or Rockler and get the quality stains. Here's a link to the exact stain I used: http://www.amazon.com/General-Finishes-EF-ESPRESSO-QT-Espresso/dp/B001DSZV66. Use a foam brush. Good luck.

I love Rockler. It's like a toy store to me, or a LFS :lol:

GreshamH said:
I love Rockler. It's like a toy store to me, or a LFS :lol:

Had I known about Rockler before I don't think I'd be in this hobby now; it's a ToysRus for some of us. I learned about it on Ian's thread of a DIY glass tank; I thought Rockler was his buddy; lmao now.
Got the catalog and between the Victoria's Secret and Rockler's catalog... is just beauty every page.

The photos are not "airbrushed" in Rockler's catalog to remove nipples and other "sightly" lines :)

Back