Neptune Aquatics

any one drill there own tank?

Can you take some pics of the bit you use Mike? The one I posted, I didn't see any at the store. I know they have the one that the head looks like the arrow but the body is smooth. I don't know how you can cut the glass. Drilling hole is fine.

No you don't cut the glass with the bits I mentioned, you only drill holes. But since Chris is mentioning using diamond wheels to cut, I suggest you make a hole at the corners first to prevent any cracks from forming at what will be really weak points.

However I think I've seen the bit you mentioned for dremels, it's a tile cutting bit by name IIRC.

No I was laughing because going through the 1/2" glass I did was a PITA (went through my fair share of diamond cutting wheels too!), and I might go through it again with 3/4" glass! I envy your small size ;)

IMO, drilling thick glass is much easier than drilling thin glass. Take a bit more time but not too worry about breaking the glass.

I drilled mine! It wasn't too difficult. I got my glass drill bit from glass-holes.com. They have a video on their site which shows the process, too. It's pretty funny to watch... they put in amusing background music and sound effects.

A couple other tips... it's true that once you have the hole started, you want to stay perpendicular. However, it's easier to start the hole with the drill slightly angled, then once you've got a groove going very slowly bring the drill back to perpendicular while drilling. As you drill, don't push down at all... just let the weight of the drill do all the work.

Also, if you have access to one, it's very helpful to have a drill with a torque adjustment. I use it any time I'm drilling anything brittle. The torque adjustment causes the drill to stop spinning when the set torque is exceeded, rather than jamming and shattering your tank.

Back