Any opinions on truvu AIO?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Arvind, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Do you use anything?

2. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

There is something, like 0.1ppm, but because I was feeding too much my corals to increase growth.. I am decreasing feeding now and it's decreasing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0109.JPG 40B's make for awesome tanks, the wide base allows for imagination to work in many ways, you could add a false back from side to side or like the TruVu's trapezoid false back, another way is going peninsula style, this setting can accommodate a nice back sump; on the plus side, Petco has the $1/gallon sale I think twice a year? or you can see them popping for sale here and there.
    Notice the tank on the images has the TruVu style filter chamber/s, the whole false back takes a huge amount of precious rock-scaping space.

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Small amounts of
    the cheapest grade carbon and gfo (as needed) from brs

5. Bruce Spiegelman

In a reactor?

6. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

You can have either in a small filter bag, just tie a knot and place it where there's flow

7. Bruce Spiegelman

That's what I do with Chemipure Blue. Then Mike mentioned it doesn't reduce phosphates that much so I was curious if he meant simply because the GFO in it is just in a bag.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  8. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I've never used GFO, bought a large bucket from BRS but as I left the hobby, was forgotten in the basement and I gave it to someone, Carbon on the other hand I did use it but in a filter bag close tho the drain of the tank. Bought a bunch of TLF reactors mainly because it was, let's say "trendy" not to mention looked nice in the messy sump area. Then I got a couple of BRS deluxe and same thing. Just look at today's high end sumps, magic boxes in white, red, green and what not.
    I believe GFO works but is not a miracle cure, maybe a temporary solution to find the source of high phosphate.
    I may have some Chemipure still sealed at home, I think if I'm not mistaken, Chemipure can be used again, there's a process to regenerate it's properties.
    The use for a TLF reactor I found, was a passive sulfur based reactor, after giving up on controlling nitrates, it worked and to this day sits up un the closet shelf full of new sulfur /aragonite mix of media. I opted for a passive reactor since power was very limited at home and fuses kept blowing (yes, fuses) I had a Midwest Sulfur Reactor which ended up selling to Ed, Drdoolittle for his amazing build.
    Think I read on RC some people had adverse results when running GFO

9. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

Vincent is right. I know this firsthand

10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I do put gfo in a two little fishes reactor. Carbon in a bag.
    I actually haven't tried the chemipure blue, I was thinking of the elite. That one doesn't do much for phosphates. Just not enough in the bag I think.