Reef nutrition

Any reefers in Almaden?

Any reefers in Almaden here? I'll be moving there in a few month and was wondering what the local water is like?

Researching an RO/DI system and don't know if a 4 stage is enough or do I need a 6 stage!

Vincent

Another thing to consider is water pressure. If the house is old or has poor water pressure, it wont push the water through the filtration members correctly. And you wont make water fast enough and your filters will need to be replaced often. If you have low water pressure you can get a booster pump. If your carbon and micron filters dont work well, your RO membranes will deteriorate faster, fi your RO membranes don't work well your DI cannister will deteriorate faster. It's good to make sure theyre all doing their jobs.

Make sure your rodi unit comes with a carbon block that can filter Chloramines, the chemical used by water companies to kill bacteria. Most likely your water will have chloramines. Other parts of the country use chlorine instead of chloramine.

You can call your local water company to ask if they use chloramines or chlorine.

Last edited:
I don't know of any Bay Area water district that doesn't treat with Chloramine. That conversion happened years ago.

The more stages tends to mean you change media less. having said that, a 4 stage is fine for most tanks.

I don't know of any Bay Area water district that doesn't treat with Chloramine. That conversion happened years ago.

The more stages tends to mean you change media less. having said that, a 4 stage is fine for most tanks.

Yep....I called Santa Cruz Water department and they use chlorine just to be sure...lol

Hmm surprisingly there are a handful of santa cruz people. I shouldve put a flyer at the Santa Cruz Pet Store. Their saltwater selection is pretty weak but someone is buying it.

There is NO reef scene to speak of in Santa Cruz. What little stores have, is for off the street buyers, not what we'd consider hobbyists ;)

This is so true and very sad at the same time!!!

Sold 3 RTBA to LFS in Santa Cruz, and he questioned me if the were "REAL" RTBA...how does the owner not know...and was he being sold pink long tentacle anemones as rose tips from his supplier???....well I will not be selling to them anymore...

No wholesaler...Just a single tank and I bought a RTBA about 15+ yrs ago and have 70+splits threw the years and wanted to support the LFS and reefers....I am going to be bring 2-3 RTBA to the swap this weekend

Ahh, good deal. Roses sure love to do that, can be a good or a bad thing depending :lol:

I just got back a BTA that I sold to a customer in 98 at Pet Pals.

Ahh, good deal. Roses sure love to do that, can be a good or a bad thing depending :lol:

I just got back a BTA that I sold to a customer in 98 at Pet Pals.

Have any connections to one of the DPV BTAs? Been searching for a while \=

Funny you should ask that. Let me make sure the lineage on the one, but if it is (easy for me to check), I know Matt @ Western Reef (my landlord) wants to sell it.

Dolphin Pet Village. It was a store in Campbell that closed down a few years ago. They were around for 30+ years and started multiple generation of aquarists.

Yep I remember them.... I was trying to get the owner to sell one of this Green BTA that were in the display tank...it was sad to see them go

Don't know if you consider Santa Rosa 'bay area' but we are still just chlorine! From the BRS videos it seems Chloramine is a pain to deal with.

Bulk reef supply recently (within the past 4 months) remodeled all of their RO/DI units. Mine came with the correct carbon block for removing Chloramines, which is what CalWater uses here in San Mateo.

Don't know if you consider Santa Rosa 'bay area' but we are still just chlorine! From the BRS videos it seems Chloramine is a pain to deal with.

Does Santa Rosa chlorinate the water? No, Santa Rosa does not add chlorine to the drinking water howeverSonoma County Water Agency does chlorinate the water to provide residual disinfection throughout the transmission system

So I take it Santa Rosa water is from Sonoma County Water Agency?

The 90's saw a HUGe push to go to Chloramines. Frankly I am surprised that so many are on Chlorine now.

Oh, sorry, BAYMAC/Gresham here... Reef Nutrition is sponsoring BAR again, I forgot to switch accounts.

Back