got ethical husbandry?

any truth to the rumor that asap is going outta business

this isnt about gossip greshamh, there are lots of lfs and distributors going under right now. its a tough hobby to keep people buying in, especially with the state of the economy. no one is getting excited about who knows what about whos shutting down, it all sucks. i dont understand how this thread can be viewed as "distasteful," but i think its a way to spread information out that our hobby needs help right now. If anything, it is going to motivate people in this club to help them out, so i disagree. i feel that this is a progressive thread, and we should be talking about ways to get this back on track, and ways to contribute to larger distributors that make this hobby possible.

I have the utmost respect for the Bob and Robert, the owners of Aquatic Specialties And Pets (ASAP), and all they have done for BAR. ASAP has been an extremely supportive sponsor and welcoming host since the beginning of BAR. BAR's success as a club is due in great part to ASAP's generosity and consideration. That said, this post started with a legitimate question and was clearly identified as a rumor. This rumor is spreading throughout the bay area and it is appropriate for people in this club to want to know more. But all need to realize that rumors carry a power of their own and can sometimes make something become true. So we need to be careful not to be reckless with rumors such as this.

So here is more information to shed some light on the rumors...

We recently confirmed that ASAP is moving and will no longer have room for BAR.
As a result, OUR SATURDAY MEETING WILL NOT BE AT ASAP.

We wish ASAP good luck on their move and we thank them for the many years of support.

The BOD has been working around the clock to find an appropriate space. We've spoken with Bart at the Steinhart, Max at The Aquarium Showroom, and various conference centers throughout the Bay Area. There is much more to this for BAR than just finding meeting space and we are working hard to cover all the angles.

As a result of all of this, the meeting this Saturday, 12/13/08 will be held at The Aquarium Showroom - http://www.theaquariumshowroom.com/. This will also be the location for our February Valentines day members only swap. We're still looking at options for other meetings, including the January BOD meeting, and will provide more information as we have it.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5428.msg68295#msg68295 date=1228938364]
Wow Steinhart was on the shortlist? How cool would that have been! :D

[/quote]
You mean, "how cool might that be?" We're still talking with Bart about future meetings there. ;)

I am so sad about ASAP. But they will be moving, and not fully closing, right?

Is there, as a club, something we can do for them to help with this transition? Work crew, bagging fish, moving things, etc?

It just seems like there should be something our club could do to thank them for what they have done for us.

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=5428.msg68281#msg68281 date=1228937700]

We wish ASAP good luck on their move and we thank them for the many years of support.

[/quote]

Many thanks Bob and Robert!!!!

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5428.msg68340#msg68340 date=1228941707]
I am so sad about ASAP. But they will be moving, and not fully closing, right?

Is there, as a club, something we can do for them to help with this transition? Work crew, bagging fish, moving things, etc?

It just seems like there should be something our club could do to thank them for what they have done for us.
[/quote]

Too much liability most likely.

It is sad that society has become so litigious that we no longer feel safe to extend help to our friends and neighbors. :(

Nor do we except help for that same reason. :( :(

Back