Jestersix

ANYBODY CAN HELP ME BUILD A CALCIUM REACTOR.!

capslock.png

capslock.jpg

Do not type in all caps. Typing in all caps is considered yelling or screaming online. Those who type in all caps are perceived as lazy and not being considerate of those who will have to read their email. Various studies on the topic reflect that it is more difficult and takes longer to read text that is typed in all caps. And for those who question "What studies?" here is one example for your reading pleasure:

http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/~muter/pmuter1.htm

Searching for words is faster with uppercase characters, but reading of continuous text is slower (Vartabedian, 1971), perhaps because interline masking is greater with uppercase (Nes, 1986). In addition, lowercase enhances reading efficiency because word shape is helpful in word recognition (Rudnicky & Kolers, 1984).

One is free, at their convenience, to review the entire document above which goes into detail about how eyes react to what they have to read based on how the content is presented.

Stating certain professions are required to type in all caps (that's the first time I've heard that one) does not jive either. Would you send any off-line communications in all caps - the answer is probably no.

NOTE: It should go without saying, however, since I was chastised for not saying so, this rule certainly doesn't apply to the vision impaired or to those who are disabled or handicapped and cannot use the shift key. However, since typing in all caps is considered yelling online, it would behoove those who do so because of these reasons to take the time to include a brief note why they are typing in caps so that their emails and intent are not misinterpreted.

CapsLock.jpg

But really, you just set up your tank and have no corals, curious why you want to build a calcium reactor?

(btw, the only reason I did the capslock post was because this isn't the first time and he was informed politely the first time to not do it ;))

Ok, the educational approach. This WILL sound harsh but I do mean well with it.

As was already mentioned in your prior thread "IS THIS WHERE I CAN FIND CORALS????", typing in all caps = YELLING!!!! People rarely take those posts seriously.

You said
Well damn im sorry thats how i always write since i used a computer!!!! besides essays.!!!

!!!! !!!! !!! used profusely is just about the same as using all caps. I also noticed a curiosity to your other posts. You said that that is how you always write. In finding the thread mentioned above, I noticed something different than this. Your original post is in all caps as with your title. However, your follow up posts seem void of almost all capitalization and it also seems punctuation was tossed out at random Here is a prime example:

cool foreals thats how people in here are damn this forum is so cool well yeah im going to post up my pictures and details thanks alot. so how much you want for the pieces?

You are probably thinking "WTF!!!!!! this guy is busting my balls dis isnt no english class why do i have to write all nice and shit!!!!" You would be correct in that this is not an English class. However, on the internet, you ARE your text. What you type and how you type are a direct reflection of who you are. If you want to be taken seriously, you should take your posting seriously. If you want to post like a renegade 12yr old, then you will be treated like such.

I would encourage you to take a little bit more time with your future postings.

You don't need a calcium reactor now. It's not cheap even DIY. It's better just buy a used one but then again, it does cost quite a bit. You are looking around $200 plus for a completed setup.

Why do you think you need a cal reactor?

Reef - slow down. I know you are excited, it is obvious. You are not going from nothing to Agent SPS overnight. Start asking questions for advice. It looks like you are spinning your wheels really fast but not making much distance. Post your tank in the member tank journals and then ask for advice.

First thing, you don't need a CA reactor. Simple CA supplement will suffice for you right now. If you prefer you can buy some pickling lime and do KalkWasser.

BUT (notice the caps for emphasis), please start by letting us know more about you and your tank in the member tank journals.

Hey Gomer....Eats, shoots and leaves. ;)

ES&L. Funny little book.

To follow up with Dyngoe, if you have a smaller tank (like <50g), you might want to consider dosing 2part. www.bulkreefsupplly.com
Dosing is easly and cheap. All it takes is a little bit of testing (which you would need to do anyways).

[quote author=reef89 link=topic=4521.msg55125#msg55125 date=1221161748]
WHO CAN HELP ME BUILT A CALCIUM REACTOR...? THANKS
[/quote]

I'm not sure you need one just yet but when you are ready we did a build a few years back and I may be able to find the plans for you :) Like it was mentioned it's not cheap but

I know it seems like every thread you post some one has something to say, but PLEASE don't let that scare you away :) Personally I am really stoked you are reefing at your age and what ever assistance I can offer you I will. Ask around, I can be a decent source both knowledge and assistance.

The caps lock deal is on that irks a lot of internet users, it's by no means limited to us on this forum, which I why I mentioned it in the other thread. My above friends are all good people as well and we're just trying to help you along. Much gets lost in posts, like sarcasm, and they can be read into numerous ways. trust me, no one here is trying to bash you or harm you and if they are they'll be dealt with by the powers of the forum. It's against by the UA (user agreement) and the clubs policy to allow any bashing or harassment.

Besides all that, we're all here for the same reason...the love of reefing.

To those that know me, they will tell you I can be so passionate about reefing and protecting the industry that I can come off as quite an a-hole. It's only the passion the drives me to act like that, it's not what I am like really :) Oh, it happens to be my career as well :D

Feel free to PM me anytime and if you make it to any of our events (which I hope you do) please by all means come and introduce yourself.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4521.msg55161#msg55161 date=1221188366]
...... I can come off as quite an a-hole. .....
[/quote]

I agree with that 100% ... :D ;D ;D

Just J/K man ;D

IMO, if you're just starting out with reef keeping, I'd dose a two part solution over a calcium reactor, it's initially way cheaper, and then you can figure out down the line if you want to stick with dosing or not.

i am trying to make this a carreer as well but got many things to learn. and also be a marine biologist...lolz :D well thanks alot GreshamH you make me feel better about this forum, my art teacher actually told me about this forum because she notice how passionate i am about the marine life .!

Another word of advice about Calcium: keep an eye on alkalinity. (well, I guess that's advice about alkalinity not calcium, but it's good advice anyway!)

Corals and coralline algae (and even some types of macro algae) use calcium and carbonate at a fixed ratio. That's why a two part calcium/alkalinity additive, as Tony suggested, might be a good option for you. It replaces both calcium and carbonate at the same rate, relative to eachother, that they are consumed. If you use a calcium supplement only, your pH can drop due to low alk and things will die. :(

[quote author=LordHelmet link=topic=4521.msg55175#msg55175 date=1221195452]
:D
[/quote]

Oh sure pile on the bandwagon Chris...I see how you two are :)

The future of reefing is looking at you in the face, be nice to him ;) With out the infusion of new young reefers the hobby is becoming over run by by the 30 something crowd. I for one respect any HS teenager who joins in such a old crowd and continues to post despite the wagon treatment :p

Back