Kessil

ANYBODY CAN HELP ME BUILD A CALCIUM REACTOR.!

[quote author=reef89 link=topic=4521.msg55188#msg55188 date=1221198286]
i am trying to make this a carreer as well but got many things to learn. and also be a marine biologist...lolz :D well thanks alot GreshamH you make me feel better about this forum, my art teacher actually told me about this forum because she notice how passionate i am about the marine life .!
[/quote]

You can call me Gresham :)

She was wise to point you in this direction :D

Like I said, feel free to PM me or email me, both are accessed via the icons under my squid avatar. I've been into marine life for as long as I can remember seeing water. I've lived by the beach since I was 4....32 years later I still live by the beach and do the same activities I used to but on a whole different scale.

Your art teacher sounds like a pretty cool teacher :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4521.msg55180#msg55180 date=1221197168]
IMO, if you're just starting out with reef keeping, I'd dose a two part solution over a calcium reactor, it's initially way cheaper, and then you can figure out down the line if you want to stick with dosing or not.

[/quote]

Excellent advice Mike, I agree.

I still dose 2 part. If you would like, I can make you some to start out with. I can also give you ingredients so you can play mad scientist at home. I also have some pickle lime I'm not using anymore.

Thanks Gresham, My GF is this students Art teacher. She has been to a frag swap and has seen sereral of the clubs tanks. She took the excitment that we all share about our tanks ,and ponted him in our direction. I know that reef89 is a good student, and is just SUPER excited about being in our club.

I deal with my nano so this may be way off but shouldn't water changes suffice for a while as the tank matures? I can't see the need for dosing calcium nevermind a calc reactor until your dealing with a decent amount of calcium hungry corals.

Reef89, please post up a tank bio as soon as you can, do you have test kit(s) for calcium and kH? Never dose anything you don't test for and as said before you need to find that perfect balance between CA and ALK. How old is the tank?

Remember, nothing good happens quickly in reefing, take your time, do your homework (both reefing and art class), and ask questions not in all caps. :)

Well you found a good one then TimTen :) I feel honored (as should the rest of the club) that she felt BAR was the place to point him :)

Is there any tanks at the school? Does she want one for the classroom? I can help with that and I think there may be a student there willing to help take care of it as well :D

awwww thanks everybody for the support. and i wouldnt mind playing mad scientist...lolz and if there was a tank to be started here at my school i would definitely help out taking care of it.

Reef89, it is even easier to be a mad scientist with 2 part since there are online calculators to make the dosing easier. I am not sure if you have them, but I strongly advise you to pick up decent Ca/Mg/Alk test kits.

Here is the online calculator...

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

i can go to my LFS which is down the block from my hous for free water test. whats part 2... i got bionic or somthing like that part 1 and part 2.

2 part, should really be called 3 part (Calc, Alk, and Mag). Its the same as B-Ionic but a lot cheaper, and you feel cooler becuase you made it.

I was going to buy soda ash at Leslies, but the price difference from Arm & Hammer is too much for me to rationalize doing that.

I typically don't dose magnesium though, being as I have been unable to find a testkit that I can actually read (so far they've all read way off the scale). So until I can I'll assume my water changes are doing fine to keep up with it.

except soda ash isn't the same as baking soda until you bake the baking soda :p Ultimately it doesn't matter (assuming you use the right MM in the calculation) beyond the initial effects on pH. I use both the soda ash (alk) and hardness plus (Ca)

I am using the seachem Mg. It does come with a standard solution which seems to check out. accurate or not, it did show my Mg to be pretty low and when I boosted it up to levels which were measured on the test kit, my LPS got a lot happier.

Here is something to get STARTED on. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm
Advanced Aquarist has a ton of really good articles.

I'd much prefer to give the guy that wrote those the traffic, Jose really worked hard on his :)

I purchased some of my supplies from BRS, so I use their easy to use calculator :) No doubt Jose worked hard on his and likewise someone worked hard on the BRS one. I use what is convenient and easy.

Back